/2016/09/courage

Comments

(((John Gruberstein))):
Holy shit, so many words about fucking nothing!

In reality, this is Apple today:

![img](http://i.imgur.com/pu3HxUol.png)

Gruber's the biggest shill in the world. Hope Apple pays him well.
12:37 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
What a fucking disgusting article from Gruber. audio jack Headphones do not draw more power than wireless headphones, and certainly not less than the included Lighting headphones, which are not in their "ascendancy" either.

Flash is not garbage technology in 2008. It enabled classes of applications on the web that were not possible without it. HTML5 adoption took time, and is still just catching up to the full functionality that Flash offered in the mid 200s.

Gruber is just being dishonest here and trying to misdirect attention away from what a bad decision this was, fundamentally.

Wireless headphones are more of a hassle than wired, and much, much more expensive. It's a user hostile move.
2:30 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
Shocker.
3:09 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
Commandhertaco:
@Gruberstein: You could have made similar pictures every single time Apple deprecated a hardware device. Omitting the headphone jack may be a mistake, but your argument by picture is lacking.
3:55 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
(((John Gruberstein))):
That's a shit solution even by Apple's standard. You're aware that Apple collaborated with Belkin to make that shit, right? That's the best Apple could come up with!

PATHETIC!

Heres what some guy on twitter came up with:

![img](http://i.imgur.com/R0pdzW8l.png)

10x better than that Apple/Belkin shit.
4:25 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
How about Apple just puts two fucking Lightning ports on the phone itself?

If headphone ports are obsolete, then replace it with something better.
6:09 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
>Most people saw it as competitive spite against Adobe, not a principled stand for a superior technology, superior experience, and open standards.

Since this is about the headphone jack:

Superior technology? Nope. The moron who thinks decent headphones sound better through a lightning connector than a jack is probably buying double-gold-plated monster HDMI cables.

Superior experience? Both the dongle and wireless suck compared to what just worked.

Open standards? Both lightning and the wireless are not open standards.

Courage my ass.
6:46 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
>“We should spend the money to update our systems to replace ads with The Deck ads because we are losing a massive and lucrative audience that are using ad blockers because they’re using iOS devices” — that’s an argument that flies.

There fixed that for ya Johnny. Anyone else remember the bitch fest Grubshit had when iOS ad blockers became possible? It's better technology after all. Better user experience.
7:00 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
Sean Schubert:
UNASSUMING FIREBALL
By Sean Schubert

'Jack Off'
Friday 9th September 2016

First of all, sorry for not posting anything of substance lately. (I do have other hobbies, you know!)

Anyway, Ben Lovejoy made a great point on 9 to 5 Mac. Far be it from me to steal his idea, but I'll offer my two cents for what it's worth.

Steve Jobs once said about the decision not to support Adobe Flash on iOS,

"We’re trying to make great products for people, and we have at least the courage of our convictions to say we don’t think this is part of what makes a great product, we’re going to leave it out."

Lovejoy's point (wish I could take the credit for it!) is that this could apply exactly to the decision not to include a headphone jack on the iPhone 7.

'Courage' was of the course the exact same excuse Phil Schiller gave for removing the headphone jack in apple's iPhone presentation. That was a deliciously smug move, and I think anyone without their head up their ass is going to have a ball poking fun at it. However, since my hobby is writing a blog about loving Apple, I thought it would be fun to try and defend it in a completely humorless way – just as an exercise. Here goes…

My second argument is that it would have been easier to leave the headphone jack on there. No one would have complained about that, would they? Therefore, taking the jack off (post title!) was the harder route. Maybe there's something courageous about that? I think you see my point so I'll leave it there – no need to start excreting lyrical wax on fields ranging from politics to technology.

My third argument is that Flash turned out to be total shit anyway! No one even cares any more. Brave + right = COURAGE. Finem respice. Status Quo.

So there you have it.

Reading this back, I kind of feel like I've taken Ben Lovejoy's idea and waffled around it! I did at least cut a few paragraphs out of respect for your time, dear readers, and as always I'd love to read your comments!

(ETA: Shit, just realised my third argument was about Flash and not the headphones. I wrote five paragraphs to try and wriggle out of it then realised I should just fess up. My bad. Guess the whole 'courage' thing doesn't bear taking so seriously! LOL)
8:51 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
"My first point I'm stealing from Lovejoy, as above: Jobs said basically the same thing. Argumentum ad jobinem. Quid pro quo. Alae jacta est. Lorem ipsum. That's amore."

Sean gets it
9:43 am — Saturday, 10 September 2016
The flash argument is a perfect example of false equivalence. Flash was awful and was replaced with something better. The headphone jack is a simple and universal standard that has been replaced with either a proprietary technology that requires licensing or - bluetooth.
1:45 pm — Saturday, 10 September 2016
the headphone jack was the A4 of audio
8:20 pm — Saturday, 10 September 2016
Courage? You know what's courage? Courage is walking with an iphone and these new airbuds through a nigger-infested ghetto.

That's fucking courage!
8:47 pm — Saturday, 10 September 2016
piss bucket:
It takes courage to stand on stage and piss on your customers.

Not a big deal though because Apple faithful love their water sports. They love being pissed on and told its rain.
9:27 pm — Saturday, 10 September 2016
So many stupid fucking comments.

1) No, Adobe Flash for mobile was not good in 2008, and never reached a point of being good by the time Adobe canned it.

2) Two Lightning ports on every device defeats the purpose of saving internal space for more useful components and upgrades. And for what, so a handful of people who have to listen to wired headphones in their car while charging don't have to pay for an adapter?

3) Yes, digital audio over a high speed cable offers considerably more options than analog audio over a 3.5mm jack. Schiller even showed a pair of 3rd-party in-ear phones that showcase a few of the possibilities.

4) You racist dumb fucks are the same ones that claimed Apple was wrong for not putting mobile Flash in the original iPhone, for not having a physical keyboard, for removing the optical disc drive, etc.

5) You complain about AirPods when their price and capabilities are reasonable for the technology, and you've never once complained about the shit ones from Motorola or the proprietary ones from Samsung that only work with a Samsung phone.

6) The good thing about people like you is that you die out before the rest of us that *prefer* when technology can move forward.
12:40 am — Sunday, 11 September 2016
Sebby:
> So many stupid fucking comments.

So many stupid fucking apologists.

I'm not buying an iPhone 7, because of the headphone jack, and that's the end of it. If I find, in future, that there's no way forward, then I'll brave these stupid fucking waters. But until then, Apple can fuck right off, and take their proprietary connectors with them.

This was a stupid move, and a cynical one at that. If you want to __believe__, in spite of all available evidence, that this is not in fact some revolutionary step forward, you go right ahead. But I'd prefer to keep functionality that already exists. The tiny number of advantages that might exist from an all-digital path are not so great that they warrant replacing a universal standard with a proprietary one, fucking up the headphone and speaker market, and inconveniencing absolutely everybody except Apple.
9:09 am — Sunday, 11 September 2016
Sebby:
s/is not in fact/is in fact/
9:10 am — Sunday, 11 September 2016
catfood:
>Heres what some guy on twitter came up with:... 10x better than that Apple/Belkin shit.

Unless you want to use a case/bumper/etc.
3:17 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
"And for what, so a handful of people who have to listen to wired headphones in their car while charging don't have to pay for an adapter?"

That's a huge whole in your argument. Its not "a handful" of people, and its not in a car. Its most of the people. My co-worker does it. I see people on the train doing it. I've done it.

Wireless headphones are nice, until they run out of power. So then I'm screwed.

If my battery is low, now I can't listen to music or podcasts because I only have one port and sorry I don't have a ton of money to spend on adapters or wireless headphones when just plugging in worked great before.

5:07 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016