/2016/10/imessage_stickiness

Comments

webOS & BB10 Lover:
Um, what about BBM? BBM is an excellent, secure cross-platform text and video messaging platform. Google is wasting time. It should just buy BlackBerry Ltd. already. Hell. Waterloo is already hardening the Android OS. At least BBM is established. With Google's beaucoup bucks, it can market the hell out of BBM. The Pixel and Pixel Plus is way too expensive when compared to the hardware of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Another eight years of Democrat rule means big business will get even bigger. Google better watch itself. Microsoft is feeling good about itself with its soaring stock price. There might be a bidding war for BlackBerry, which offers access to the enterprise and government markets, an awesome patent-filled physical keyboard, and monthly security and OS updates for their handsets. Who can ask for anything more?
5:04 am — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
Tinkle:
I think Gruber is, once again, kidding himself if he thinks that regular users don't make a folder to hide all the shitty Apple apps (before they were deletable). All my non-tech friends have done that for years.

Hardly any of them use iMessage either. It only takes one or two people without iPhones to move a big group of friends to WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger so they can all chat to each other. iMessage isn't sticky at all.
7:53 am — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
>daily driver

who the fuck uses this terminology? fucking hipsters!

>Um, what about BBM? BBM is an excellent, secure cross-platform text and video messaging platform

AHHAHAHAHA... thanks for a laugh nigger.

7:59 am — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
Bumface:
Allo isn't Google's answer to iMessage. It's Google's answer to WhatsApp.
8:43 am — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
Chaim Chowder:
BBM is not end-to-end encrypted. Plus, if people still wanted Blackberries, they would have been buying them.
1:28 pm — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
Jewber:
This is the worst, most distasteful post I've ever read on here. DF is dead and I am out.
1:44 pm — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
Anonymynous:
>I may not be well-enough attuned to idiomatic Android UI design to notice where Apple Music is iOS-y, but I can categorically state that Apple Music for Android is far more Android-y than any of Google’s iOS apps are iOS-y.

"There are two quantities. I know the magnitude of one but not the other. I am absolutely certain that the one I know is greater than the one I don't."

The ramblings of a madman.
2:05 pm — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
Ailurus:
"The ramblings of a madman."

Nailed it.

I don't live/travel in the US, but bouncing around Asia I don't have a single friend or business acquaintance who uses iMessage or Facetime; it's all WhatsApp, LINE or WeChat. It's not that any of these are better at the core 'making text go to people' function, but being able message someone *regardless of the fucking brand of phone they own* is kind of fundamental.

As for referencing Yoni Heisler with regard to Apple Maps... <eyeroll>
2:23 pm — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
My Optional Name:
>...being able message someone regardless of the fucking brand of phone they own is kind of fundamental.

Funny, and all this time I thought that's what SMS is for.
1:08 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Money makes the world go round:
SMS costs money; iMessage and all the rest don't. Plus they can get so-called "cool features" like fireworks and lasers that SMS can't touch.

None of the other chat apps require your phone #, either. In an area where everyone has multiple SIMs, I wonder if that makes a difference.
11:51 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Most people on the Apple Reddit came to the other conclusion - that iMessage isn't sticky because if the majority use a third party app like WhatsApp, iMessage doesn't matter.
1:01 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Who the fuck uses WhatsApp? Fuck that shit. iMessage for the win.
5:49 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Millions of people not in the US.
6:39 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Correction: Over a billion people use WhatsApp. How many use iMessage?
6:41 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016