/2016/10/mossberg_siri

Comments

Vanilla Dry Ice:
11:01 pm — Wednesday, 12 October 2016
Q*Bert:
Mossberg is absolutely right, Siri is fucking terrible even after all these years of supposed improvements. 90% of the time I try to use it for anything more than setting a timer (works well for this), there is some problem, I give up and end up doing it another way.

What's really troubling is that the Siri interface is taking over or playing an increasingly larger role in many things in Apple's ecosystem: first iOS, but now macOS, CarPlay, tvOS, watchOS, the AirPods interface, etc. I'm glad Mossberg is calling them out on it publicly. It's embarrassing they've fallen so far behind the competition on this stuff.
11:26 pm — Wednesday, 12 October 2016
ano:
It seems that Apple has a talent problem in software. Their software across nearly every sector seems behind, and Apple feels like its coasting off the NeXT-era software tech with various generations of window dressing on top.
12:25 am — Thursday, 13 October 2016
Hateful BB-8:
My question: can the competition do these things any better?
1:49 am — Thursday, 13 October 2016
FFS:
I don't know if they'e behind but Siri is basically fucking retarded. The tech simply cannot answer simple questions like "when is the SF giants game start" or "what is the score of the padres game." It can answer incredibly stupid shit ("siri, what is my elevation?" literally always works. Fuck me!). But she knows fuck all about american sports and it drives me insane.
2:20 am — Thursday, 13 October 2016
ano:
Google is way ahead with its assistant services, though you would expect they would be as its so close to their core business of Search. Amazon Echo has good feedback too.

Apple needs to do something.
4:53 am — Thursday, 13 October 2016
Dumb Grub:
"I remain unconvinced that Siri is behind the competition."

Almost as funny as his hilarious sulk at a the NYT attaching the word 'innovation' to Samsung (who, despite the enormous, exploding fuckup on Note 7, will no doubt be back.)

At this point, Grubes' delusion is so strong he's practically in need of treatment.

For the rest of us enjoying the lols, though, long may the slug roar
8:53 am — Thursday, 13 October 2016
gruber circlejerk:
> My question: can the competition do these things any better?

Google can, but I can speak even more confidently that Amazon's Alexa assistant is magnitudes more useful than Siri. Maybe because it's a dedicated device, but Alexa delights me in ways that Siri never can.

When Apple releases its own Echo competitor, it better have souped up Siri, because I'm not buying a device that's current-Siri outside-of-iOS.
1:15 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
gruber circlejerk:
> My question: can the competition do these things any better?

Also from the article:

> Google Now, on the same Apple devices, using the same voice input, answered every one of these questions clearly and correctly. And that isn’t even Google’s latest digital helper, the new Google Assistant.
1:16 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
Anonymynous:
"Hey Siri, what's the diameter of an elephant's eyeball?"
1:28 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
> I worry that even if Apple improves Siri significantly, people will never know it because they won’t bother trying because they were burned so many times before.

I was talking about Siri with some co-workers last week and all of them said they no longer use Siri at all because it "never works".
2:48 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
[Try asking Siri about seagulls](https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/56wk4m/i_challenge_all_of_you_to_try_and_get_siri_to/)
2:50 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
the dude:
Outside of Apple, only Grubs would actually worry about people not using Siri...

The rest of us have enough things to worry about without stressing over whether or not people are drooling over everything Apple makes/does.
4:31 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
catfood:
re: eyeball/seagulls - yeah, that's pretty sad.
7:37 pm — Thursday, 13 October 2016
My Optional Name:
>Siri is a complete piece of shit. What a fucking disaster. They should remove it from every device, fix it until it doesn't suck cock, then re-install it when it's actually worth more than, "Set my alarm for 6 am," which is the only thing it understands.

![](http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/glee/images/d/dc/Tumblr_lm74ypXC1D1qii6tmo1_400.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120825074014)
1:23 pm — Friday, 14 October 2016
Google bought Deepmind, Apple bought that nigger-tier Beats garbage.

And people wonder why APple sucks at AI.

AHHAH

With Cook and Cue leading Apple, Apple's fucked long-term.
2:52 am — Monday, 17 October 2016