/2017/02/action_jackson_returns

Comments

Not Anonymous:
Apple never was traditional, but they have been since Tim Cook took the helm.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.
8:19 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
As an actual, you know, shareholder, I am perfectly happy with Apple returning cash they can't possibly use to the owners of the company.

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight and arguing about who they could have acquired is the hallmark of people who don't actually know how to run a large company. It focuses on the opportunities that were missed, but completely ignores the pitfalls that were also certainly avoided (for reference, look at the acquisition record of essentially every other large tech company).

If Apple investors want to own a piece of Facebook or Netflix, they can go buy stock in those companies with *gasp* the returned dividends and capital gains they get from Apple.

Crazy how that works.
8:31 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
The author of the linked article once argued that Apple should have bought Yahoo.

I think that tells you everything you need to know about how worthwhile his opinion is.
8:34 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
i, too, am happy with the dividends. i make ~$70k/yr from apple dividends. if apple were to stop the dividends, i would sell all my stock and put it in something else that pays dividends.

the hyper growth phase of apple is over. it's been a fun ride, but it won't happen again. deal with it.

if on the other hand they stopped the buyback and upped the dividend, i'd be quite happy.
9:05 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
piece of kit:
@anonymous - How many shares do you own? Based on $.57/quarter/share, you own ~30,700 shares of Apple, worth ~$4,000,000?

Possibly the richest DFwC commenter ever?
9:49 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
30,773.
9:55 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
"i make ~$70k/yr from apple dividends."

Damn son I thought I was doing alright.

Good for you!
10:01 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
John Rodham Gruber:
>But I’ve never been a fan of Apple’s dividend program.

Something only an asshole who doesn't own any Apple stock would say. The rest of us are fans.
11:23 pm — Thursday, 9 February 2017
toolshed:
Large acquisitions by large companies rarely work. It's way harder than it looks, and the people who are incentivised to carry it out (i.e., make out like bandits) don't usually hang around.
1:25 am — Friday, 10 February 2017
Shake it around:
Dividends historically have been better than share buybacks.

Share buybacks are pretty pointless unless you're doing them for financial engineering reasons, which means you're doing something sneaky. Sneaky = bad.
5:12 am — Friday, 10 February 2017
Anonymynous:
TLDR: I wrote something before and I was write. Someone else says I was wrong. He is wrong and I am right. I am right I am right. I love the attention. I am never wrong and everyone else is always wrong. I am the best at being right and I am never wrong. I am right.
11:21 am — Friday, 10 February 2017
knowitall:
The dividends are neccessary. Simply because they cant actually grow sufficiently enough relative to their iphone business.

A company that has just created a 6bn dollar business in 2yrs (Apple Watch) would have crazy value on the market and subsquently their shares would be soaring. But that same watch company attached to Apple? Doesnt move the needle much at all.

So Apple cant be a growth stock anymore. It's success is bringing diminishing returns on its actual share price. It needs another way to reward investors. Divideneds, buy backs etc.. kind of like the only way forward unless Apple becomes a true conglomerate.

11:34 am — Friday, 10 February 2017
Yep, I'm happy with the stock dividend program too. I don't expect them to be a super growth company. So give some of that money back to us.
2:50 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
nonny mouse:
I had 550 shares in the late 90s. If I'd held it, it'd be 15,400 shares at a split-adjusted cost of just under fifty cents a share today.

Not complaining, mind you. I made an okay profit and it makes a good fish-that-got-away story.
4:02 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
DanglingSackball:
I'm nowhere near the realm of the anon w/ 30,000+ shares of AAPL, but I've definitely done OK. Not selling anytime soon. Looking forward to the annual dividend increase announcement no doubt coming in April. Happy w/ AAPL's financial decisions. Better to buy small companies vs a large acquisition that gives them a lot of non-Apple-minded employees.
4:19 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
"Better to buy small companies vs a large acquisition that gives them a lot of non-Apple-minded employees."

Well said.

While every company has a certain culture, Apple appears to be unique. They make strategic acquisitions and maximize their value.

5:36 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
"invent the future", lol. What *internet-service based* future have they ever invented? Don't say hardware.
6:51 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
Swing when you're winning:
Is Steve's old product pipeline now empty?
7:06 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
elbowroom:
@Mac Pro is Dead

Two of more underrated "products" from Apple, the original iTunes Music store and the App Store. Both were internet services that defined and changed the industry.

In a way the iTunes Music store is a classic example of how a former disruptor, Apple, was disrupted by upstarts because of its success. If Apple didn't have an entrenched position in selling music downloads, they would've moved quicker to streaming and things would've been more "stream"lined. (sorry)
10:20 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017
elbowroom:
@ anonymous

> Although one thing that bugged me was Apple not making the most of Siri and keeping that team on board. Siri was great at first as it was a new thing. But now it's kind of so-so and could be much better today than it is.

It's funny to think about that since Samsung is about to unveil their own version of Siri made by the same people (Viv). Having said that I actually like using Siri on my Apple TV a lot since it's more reliable.
10:38 pm — Friday, 10 February 2017