/2017/05/halide

Comments

piece of kit:
RIP Vesper.
8:04 pm — Tuesday, 30 May 2017
elbowroom:
It looks somewhat interesting I guess. I do think there's a place for design-centric apps like this.

However I never liked the Leica font as a main UI font. It looks nice when used sparingly in a few places, as seen in older Leica film cameras, but when it was used in digital cameras where all the buttons were labeled using the same font, I thought it made things look cheap and awkward.

8:10 pm — Tuesday, 30 May 2017
gruber:
8:33 pm — Tuesday, 30 May 2017
gruber:
NO EGGPLANT EMOJI SUPPORT?!?!
8:33 pm — Tuesday, 30 May 2017
This is totally Vesper all over again. I predict that it, too, will fail.
8:59 pm — Tuesday, 30 May 2017
>Clearly inspired by the lens inscriptions on kit from Leica and Zeiss, it just exudes camera-ness.

Of course, exuding camera-ness is much more important than actually having a good camera. Or taking pictures.
10:26 pm — Tuesday, 30 May 2017
ohm:
That font is extremely close to Leica's proprietary font for the lenses they've made since 1990 or so, and is a Eurostile derivative: DIN 1451 Std Mittelschrif.
12:43 am — Wednesday, 31 May 2017
Q*Bert:
> Focus peak is nice but I wonder how userful it is on a camera with such deep DoF.

Normally true, but I think for the iPhone 7 "portrait mode" it could matter a lot where the exact focus plane is. Although I'm not sure if they use the lens focus point for that or calculate it some other way.
4:47 am — Wednesday, 31 May 2017
My Optional Name:
>This is totally Vesper all over again. I predict that it, too, will fail.

I'd wager that Gruber made more off this one paid ad than he made over the lifetime of Vesper. And that, my man, make this a win.
3:31 am — Thursday, 1 June 2017
Heinz Gruber:
>It takes some real grit to create a new iPhone camera app

Not so much.
6:33 am — Thursday, 1 June 2017
Trumplethinskin:
>I would say it takes "some real grit" to run into a burning building to save someone, parachute into the mountains of Afghanistan, or hop off a chopper into the jungles of Vietnam in the middle of a firefight. But releasing a software application?

>Not so much.

Careful now. They just might use that and run a commercial showing John Wayne doing all that while recording it all with this app.
12:31 pm — Thursday, 1 June 2017