/2017/05/safari_vs_chrome_on_the_mac

Comments

What the hell was the point of this? We all know that even if Chrome performed better Grubs would still prefer Safari.
9:19 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Anonymynous:
A long-winded attempt to demonstrate that Gubbo is *technically not wrong* to irrationally prefer anything made by Apple at all times.

Also:
>My test was in no way meant to simulate real-world usage. You’d have to be fueled up on some serious stimulants to read a new web page every 15 seconds non-stop for hours on end.

Just because *you* spend your lunchtimes sleeping off the morning liquor doesn't mean the rest of us aren't on speed and mushrooms. Why do you think we read this shit?
9:39 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
ohm:
28% using Chrome seems like a sizeable enough percentage to warrant a... "and this should worry, or at least prod Apple to make Safari more palatable to the desires of Chrome users" or something like it.

28% is huge.

I use Safari, but mainly because I dislike the look of Chrome.
1:00 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
Gruber the Booger:
When the footnotes are as long as the article you are doing it wrong.

Chrome can be a real pig with resources. That much is true.

But if you use all platforms and devices the convenience it offers over Safari is unmatched. Especially if you use a few of Googles services.

If all you use is Apple, I suppose Safari is alright. But it's got it's annoyances as well.

It's love/hate with Chrome. That goes for any browser.
1:33 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
Q*Bert:
I don't know why people say Safari is so horrible. I use Chrome at times (mostly for sites with video that isn't HTML5 compliant) but Safari works great for me as a daily browser. It's fast, it's stable, it syncs everything across all my devices, and looks clean. And Chrome is definitely rougher on battery life.
5:07 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
Q*Bert:
^^ That being said, I agree with Gruber that Chrome is also pretty good. If Safari didn't exist or became broken for some reason, I could easily use it all the time and be relatively happy. Nice to have the option.
5:09 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
DDA:
Chrome's dev tools are far superior to Safari's. I can never figure out how to do the most basic debugging and CSS tweaking.

Safari often hangs (Not Responding) for many minutes at a time trying to load a page. No real indication of why or what it is trying to do.

Chrome sucks up resources and the whole "Chrome Store" and incessant calls to log in are also annoying. But for web development, it wins by a mile.
3:04 pm — Saturday, 27 May 2017
Ero:
Safari is nice, especially now uBlock Origin is available for it. But the tiny, fixed width URL bar kills me.
5:58 am — Monday, 29 May 2017