/2017/06/your_vs_my

Comments

Can we find anyone for whom an iPad is an adequate replacement to a laptop?
6:56 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
An iPad is a perfect laptop replacement for my wife. She has a work-issued desktop running Windows at the office and when she comes home she doesn't need to do any hard computing. She answers personal emails, browses, and watches shows and movies. It's great for that.

Gruber's point is fair. These reviews project, but myopically. With iOS 11, Apple appears to be making the iPad more suitable for people who want to work on it, but not a laptop replacement. If that was the case, they'd just stop making laptops as they did headphone jacks and CD drives.
7:09 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
Hell hath no fury like an Apple blogger scorned.

7:10 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
outskirts:
I just installed DF With Comments, and was hoping to be able to participate in meaningful discussion on the interesting topics Gruber is bringing up. Instead I find a bunch of racist children making personal attacks on Gruber... What a disappointment. Uninstalling this extension immediately.
8:20 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
@outskirts

Nice try, John. Go back and stir up another Vesper!
8:44 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
catfood:
that's like installing a litter box in your garage thinking that your cats will bury gold coins there.
9:08 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
>just like thousands of Windows and Mac users ignore keyboard shortcuts they don’t know about

Thousands? More like millions. Probably hundreds of millions.
10:11 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
>Is Grubs mad because the Surface is literally a laptop that can become a tablet, and the iPad is a tablet that sucks as a laptop?

Except that the Surface totally sucks as a tablet. And it's below-average as a laptop.

Meanwhile, the iPad is a really good tablet.
10:13 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
Heinz Gruber:
>Uninstalling this extension immediately.

Buh-bye.
10:56 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Still an immature product in my mind until they can put the computing power of MB Pro in a tablet size and you can boot up to whichever operating system you want.
10:57 pm — Wednesday, 28 June 2017
fookles:
guys! We're not going to bring in the Macintouch crowd unless we clean up our act and engage in reasoned, sensible debate.

The Mac only has a long bright future because the Touch bar is long and doesn't dim when the screen dims...
12:38 am — Thursday, 29 June 2017
ohm:
I'm in an interesting position. My MacBook Pro 13 (2015) was purchased to replace an iPad. It is far easier to type with and its screen is more evenly lit than my iMac 27's is.

But that keyboard gets in the way, especially when I hook a Wacom drawing tablet up to it.

Recently, Adobe and my iMac don't jive: Photoshop crashes every time I make selections prior to saving paths.

I purchased a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro rather than replacing my iMac. I'm one of those that has come to dislike AIO desktops, especially after many problems with the iMac's screen.

But the Wacom, and Windows 10 do not work well. I had to disable virus checkers in order to keep the tablet drivers stable.

So, I will check out the iPad Pro 10,5 and Affinity Photo or whatever it is that is supposed to be a semi-replacement for Photoshop.

I get on with the on-screen keyboard, as well as the keyboard case. If Affinity doesn't mush about too much with my heavy editing load, and if the iPad Pro can keep up with 50 megapixel photo stacks, it will replace a full-fledged windows computer as well as my iMac for hard editing. It won't work to actually run stacks or hard compress files, or with a DAM, but hey, we will see.
2:08 am — Thursday, 29 June 2017
@ohm

Can't speak to any of that, but I do use Affinity for the mac and have found it excellent for my needs, which are not at pro level. But for the price, it seems incredible.
3:57 am — Thursday, 29 June 2017
ohm:
@anon:

If affinity for the iPad Pro is as good as for the Mac, it is generally enough. Most of the heavy colour lifting, etc., comes before dust/scratch/blemish fixing and line straightening, for which I make heavy use of selections.

The Wacom does everything I need, but is bulky, and doesn't properly shake hands with Windows.

I'd not have this predicament if Apple had properly updated their Mac Pro and Mac Mini. Headless is where I need to be.
11:38 am — Thursday, 29 June 2017
knowitall:
"Still can't make the equation work for me. Have to have a laptop for work. Would love a tablet for entertainment, but carrying both while traveling sucks. So I don't even really own a tablet at this point.

AND... Still don't like reading books on a tablet, so that part hasn't even matured yet."

I think it's like saying, I 'd like a family car but I also need a big truck for some things. You cant have both. You can have a hybrid but it wont do everything quite as smoothly as you would like if you had both vehicles when you needed them.

So you have two options, adapt your life style so you do things to accomodate the hybrid type vehicle or just have two different vehicles.

I think people over complicate things by trying to get every exact requirement needed out of 1 machine. That isnt going to happen.

It's always a tradeoff.
12:15 pm — Friday, 30 June 2017
Gruber Watch:
Remember that time Gruber's nephew installed DFWC and told everyone they were really mean and like his uncle was really cool and stuff…lol
1:44 pm — Friday, 30 June 2017