/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing

Comments

anon:
jesus fucking christ
9:39 pm — Friday, 7 July 2017
Spanky Mulrooney's allergist's niece's best friend's dog's groomer:
Was that as good for you as it be for me? Somebody get me a cigarette.
9:45 pm — Friday, 7 July 2017
Why OLED? Is microLED not yet ready for production?
9:55 pm — Friday, 7 July 2017
Vanilla Dry Ice:
Fuck this, I'm getting the RED phone.
10:34 pm — Friday, 7 July 2017
ano:
2200 words of the shittiest apple fanfiction ever.. is gruber high?
10:38 pm — Friday, 7 July 2017
David X.:
> Is microLED not yet ready for production?

I believe general consensus is that microLED is still some time away. I'd expect to see it first in Apple's watch (smaller screens are usually easier to manufacture).
12:24 am — Saturday, 8 July 2017
>I created a bit of a stir the other day when I suggested the OLED iPhone “Pro” could start at $1,500.

No, you said it **should** start at $1,500. Big difference.
12:28 am — Saturday, 8 July 2017
The Acura and Lexus analogy makes no sense... unless you are calling for Apple to create a separate non-Apple brand, sold at non-Apple stores and which most of the public does not realize is owned by Apple.
4:56 am — Saturday, 8 July 2017
Anonymous®:
Gruber = Apple trial ballooner.
4:10 pm — Saturday, 8 July 2017
Gruber the Booger:
In case you haven't read enough, I implore you to drop everything and read this now:

[https://daringfireball.net/2016/10/iphone_edition](https://daringfireball.net/2016/10/iphone_edition)

Trust me.
7:00 pm — Saturday, 8 July 2017
"An expensive limited edition iPhone would mean most iPhone buyers would know they’re only getting second best."

And also that the S8 is similar or better in form factor, for way less money.
11:16 pm — Saturday, 8 July 2017
jimothy:
>“I don’t want a 7S because it’s boring, but I don’t want to spend $1,200 on an iPhone Pro/Edition because that’s too much for a phone, no matter how nice it is.” That sentiment could be trouble for Apple.

Rational or not, I think that's the conclusion I would draw. Since the iPhone 3G, I had been an every-other-year upgrader, up until the iPhone 6. I skipped the 7 and still use the 6. If the 7S plays second fiddle to the iPhone Pro (or whatever), I may skip the 7S, as well. There's no way I'm plunking down $1,200+ on a phone.

What could draw me in, though, is if the 7S has a dual camera equivalent to the 7S Plus. I'd like the better camera, I just don't want a massive phone.
11:20 pm — Saturday, 8 July 2017
Does this guy think he's ben thompson? What does gruber know about strategy? Stick to cocktails and font pedantry.
9:39 am — Sunday, 9 July 2017
\>implying apple PR didn't ask him to knock this up.
9:40 am — Sunday, 9 July 2017
Andy W:
Grubs going above and beyond defending this take on twitter.
9:41 am — Sunday, 9 July 2017
Anonymous®:
So it is going to be $1500.
2:57 pm — Monday, 10 July 2017
Probably less than that, but this is reminiscent of the "price anchoring" that Apple had Grubs do for the Edition watch. Which flopped badly of course. Oh and the original iPad too.

"See? It's only $1200. Cheap!"
3:07 pm — Monday, 10 July 2017