/2017/08/safari_should_display_favicons_in_its_tabs

Comments

Tillie:
Seriously?
11:49 pm — Thursday, 10 August 2017
Ero:
Agreed. Chrome is a creepy, bloated mess. Safari is a better browser in almost every way, but it has two things that frustrate the hell out of me:

* The favicons, that Gruber addressed here. I've somewhat mitigated this by pinning common tabs, but again why not show the actual icon rather than a square letter?

* The inflexible address bar that doesn't fill all that wasted space. I can't think of any good reason at all for this.
1:19 am — Friday, 11 August 2017
ergonaut:
Favicons are dumb. The better answer is tree-style tabs, where the tabs are along the left side, kind of like the sidebar that Safari already has for bookmarks.
3:48 am — Friday, 11 August 2017
Favicons are awesome.
4:23 am — Friday, 11 August 2017
Gruber the Booger:
This is the kind of thing that I think about constantly and keeps me up at night.

I put this directly into my "shit nobody with a life gives a shit about" file.
4:49 am — Friday, 11 August 2017
Culturally appropriated:
Favicons aren't displayed in Safari because Safari has had severe issues with favicons.

Maybe they can get an intern to re-enable them, and write a favicon database that doesn't fuck up the OS' performance.
9:00 am — Friday, 11 August 2017
meh:
favicon are nether here nor .
11:59 am — Friday, 11 August 2017
No argument from me on this one. Not having favicons is really stupid.
12:58 pm — Friday, 11 August 2017
What about performance? Gruber completely ignores it.

If it would make Safari slower, they shouldn't bother with this nonsense.
5:05 pm — Friday, 11 August 2017
>If it would make Safari slower, they shouldn't bother with this nonsense.

Displaying a bunch of tiny static images would slow down the browser... kek...

You have a very low IQ anon.
5:30 pm — Friday, 11 August 2017
100% agree that this change is needed. I never use Safari due to this reason PLUS the in-general worse tabs compared to Chrome. Fix tab behavior and I'd switch to Safari in a heartbeat.
5:59 pm — Friday, 11 August 2017
can't wait to see people flocking to safari once the favicons are there.. live changing! grubs looking for one more way to boost his ego once apple does this at some point and say i told you so..
6:15 pm — Friday, 11 August 2017
You can see the performance implication of favicons just by pulling down your history menu. See how they take longer to show up?
9:19 pm — Friday, 11 August 2017