/2017/09/the_iphones_8

Comments

Grubweiner:
I'm usually a defender of Grub's posts but this was a bit shit.

What could have marginally improved it was a recommendation based on his experience with the various devices for different kinds of users... he used to offer this.
12:15 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
>the various machine learning stuff

Such as?

> after 15 minutes it was back to 27 percent, at 30 minutes it was at 54 percent, and at 45 minutes it was at 72 percent.

My iphone 6 charges faster than this. Granted the battery barely makes it 5 hours on a full charge but still...
12:27 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
> I went out and bought one of Apple’s 29-watt chargers that ship with the MacBook ($49 bucks, not cheap). I also bought a USB-C to Lightning cable ($25 for 1 meter, $35 for 2 meters — also not cheap). Anker makes a 30-watt USB-C charger that sells for under $30, but I figured I’d test fast-charging with Apple’s kit.

grubs is stupid. the macbook charger changes its output based on what it's plugged into. just because it's 29w max doesn't mean he's going to get 29w into an iphone. he would have been better off with the anker charger.
1:43 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
"I was tempted to write this review under the... "

I expected to read "...influence"
2:06 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
i picked up a wireless charger from ikea yesterday. it looks good, and works great. it also has a USB output, so i can charge my watch from it too.
3:34 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
@anonymous

ikea doesn't count, you cheap cheating pleb !
4:12 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
> I think it must be so weird to be a hardware designer at Apple, though, working to make these devices that look beautiful, knowing that 90+ percent of the people who buy them will put them in case within minutes of unboxing them and never take the case off.

Maybe they should design them better than. You know, get rid of that shit camera bump (the only reason I put mine in a case), among other things.

> A lot of people out there have been asking me who the iPhone 8 is for, other than people who can’t or don’t want to spend $999 or more on an iPhone X.

Its for those who think the X is shit. Which it is.

> But they did debut alongside the iPhone X, and because of that almost nobody is excited about them.

I am. I'm not excited about the X. It has no home button, no Touch ID, and a terrible notch. No thank you.

> Another group are people who value familiarity over being on the bleeding edge.

Or those who prefer a better design. The X blows.
6:44 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
Gruber the Booger:
>Pretty good for a boring update.

Shouldn't it be

>Pretty good for a borings update.

Who is with me's here?
9:32 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
elbowroom:
The biggest problem with the iPhone 8 is that the traditional iPhone look with large bezels just look dated for a premium priced phone in late 2017 even outside the iPhone X. Most notably we have the LG G6, the Galaxy S8, the Note 8, the Essential Phone, and more are on their way, all with modern small bezel look that Apple only provides with the top-of-the-line model. I haven't even mentioned phones like the Xiaomi MiMix only available overseas or online.

That doesn't make the iPhone 8 a bad one but when you're Apple, being so much behind in industrial design should be an insulting moment.
11:26 pm — Tuesday, 19 September 2017
Legion of Bad Ideas:
The press is setting expectations too high. It's a pocket computer with a phone attached.

Fucking analysts and pundits always want their minds and dicks blown. Do you know how hard it is to have a mind-blowingly good product?

Apple has had a few, which is more than most.

But every year? Apple doesn't have a Nikolai Tesla on staff. If they did they'd have to keep him away from the normal folks because he'd be too disruptive.

It's an incremental improvement. That's pretty good by itself.
12:41 am — Wednesday, 20 September 2017
elbowroom:
@Legion of Bad Ideas

It's mind-blowingly good but not over the competition in many things, particularly the industrial design.

If someone were tell me in 2007 that 10 years later there'll be a new Apple iPhone with dated looking design but an awesome Apple-designed processor with custom CPU and GPU cores, I would've called it a bizarro world prediction.
12:55 am — Wednesday, 20 September 2017
yawn:
tl, dr.
1:55 am — Wednesday, 20 September 2017
yawn:
tl, dr.
1:55 am — Wednesday, 20 September 2017
Ero:
The fact the iPhone 8 doesn't have one of those horrible AMOLED screens is reason enough to get it over the X.
7:28 am — Wednesday, 20 September 2017