/2017/12/the_iphone_x

Comments

Out of the gates, your premise fails: the iPhone X isn't a "complete ground-up rethinking of a fabulously popular and successful platform."

Many Androids have lived without a home button for years. That Apple has joined them in this button-less paradise does not suddenly render this decision revolutionary.

The camera bump remains objectionable and poorly integrated. The detailing is entirely at odds with the stainless steel bevel that rings the display. Apple should at least have been consistent here. Instead, it feels the camera bump surround was designed by an entirely different team and slapped on the back.

Stainless steel does not look or feel much more luxurious than aluminum. More importantly: iPhone is not a luxury product, so this shouldn't matter.

True Tone looks like shit.

iPhone X is the work of a team not only timid, but out of appreciably new ideas. And, disappointingly, with an alarming lack of taste.

Google owns this space. iPhone X reveals that Apple is not serious about regaining their lead.

There's so much that is frustrating about Android – and Android device makers. But it's clear that Google is inventing the future, while Apple is focused on lining its pockets until the music stops.
3:08 am — Wednesday, 27 December 2017
ano:
I feel that Gruber wrote this piece defensively because he knows in his heart that the gesture system replacing the home button sucks and adds ugly complexity
5:18 am — Wednesday, 27 December 2017
Just in time!
6:15 am — Wednesday, 27 December 2017
Have to agree with the first anonymous comment here. And Gruber does sound defensive. Still, he finally wrote the review!
1:02 pm — Wednesday, 27 December 2017
I can't say I'm immune to it, but this line shows how living in a bubble makes you blind to downfalls. How long were non-iPhone users saying this:

"The chins and foreheads on other iPhones now stick out to me far more [...]. They just scream “Wasted space!” to me."

"Another risk, though, is hubris — making changes just for the sake of making changes"

CoughHeadphonejackCough
2:21 pm — Wednesday, 27 December 2017
"It’s unique in Apple history — if not all of consumer computing history — for the same version of the OS to present two distinct interfaces that are so markedly different, based solely on which hardware the OS is running."

Many an OS has presented multiple interfaces. Wasn't that a major selling point of Windows 8? My Windows 10 interface changes completely every time I switch my laptop into tablet mode.

Why does Gruber need to overstate everything about this phone?
3:09 pm — Wednesday, 27 December 2017
chad:
@ass

While I agree with most of your comment, the removal of the headphone jack was obviously done in in preparation of the iPhone X. Teardowns show there is no internal room for the headphone jack anymore.
12:08 am — Thursday, 28 December 2017
you've got the wrong end of the stick. if apple hadn't abandoned the headphone, they'd have found room in iphone x for it.

but as they have abandoned it, why would they leave that space unused?
1:57 am — Thursday, 28 December 2017
hoopla:
he had to write the review before the end of the year, really.

we're just lucky he turned in his homework. Now, we can grade it.
10:54 am — Thursday, 28 December 2017
realman:
gruber is right about the choice of materials.

the heft, weight, feel and finish of a steel cockring is infinitely superior to an aluminum one. Once you've tried it, you won't go back.
10:57 am — Thursday, 28 December 2017
brichtimp:
I find the iPhone 8 to be a sweet upgrade from my previous 6S.....combining the familiar form factor with the same chip found on the X is a win win for users like me. Plus, the 256 GB storage is very useful. I prefer Touch ID for the ways I like to access the device. Adding a Caseology Parallax case to the 8 resulted in an elegant, powerful computing tool in my pocket...ymmv.
1:01 pm — Thursday, 28 December 2017
So we got rid of one thing that does a bunch of things (really easy) to make a bunch of random things do to a bunch of things (harder). Hence, no home button SUCKS.

So he says Face ID is worse is some ways (the important ways), and Touch ID is better. Hence, Face ID SUCKS.

So he says the camera bump sucks, but if you are going to do it, really SUCK at it. Hence, the camera bump SUCKS.

So he notices the square corners on other phones, but he says the notch is noticeable. Hence, the notch SUCKS.

So he says there is no option for a numeric battery option, which is good because it introduces anxiety, but he's an asshole. So the lack of the option SUCKS.

In the end, the iPhone X SUCKS. Its a terrible device. The iPhone 8 is the best iPhone out there right now.
4:38 pm — Thursday, 28 December 2017