/linked/2016/08/23/mylan-epipen

Comments

Vanilla Dry Ice:

I wonder if Apple does anything similar with its add-ons, which require certification before slapping the MADE FOR IPHONE logo.
10:18 pm — Tuesday, 23 August 2016
Q*Bert:
> Why are you attacking Mylan? You should attack your elected politicians who setup a system that allows for unfettered entrepreneurship.

Yeah, to me more the interesting question is _why_ there are no competitors in the US. Are others banned? Are doctors and hospitals taking kickbacks to not prescribe any other brands? Are there no other manufacturers who can make it? Is it a patent thing? What?
11:16 pm — Tuesday, 23 August 2016
Q*Bert:
> I don’t know how the executives at Mylan sleep at night.

Like most multimillionaires sleep, I would imagine. In obscene comfort.
11:17 pm — Tuesday, 23 August 2016
JonathanJK:
That last sentence has no venom in it anymore, just like calling someone a racist. Rich people don't give a fuck.
11:29 pm — Tuesday, 23 August 2016
Captain Literal:
"I don’t know how the executives at Mylan sleep at night."

Expensive beds and with excellent sheets and pillows, I'd imagine.
11:59 pm — Tuesday, 23 August 2016
The revolution is over:
So make your own and sell it for less. It's the American way.
12:13 am — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
Eddie:
I'm surprised no here has said "Thanks Obama!" yet.
1:16 am — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
Tony Soprano:
>You should attack your elected politicians who setup a system that allows for unfettered entrepreneurship.

If the entrepreneurship were actually as "unfettered" as you assert it is, there would be a competitor.

Why isn't there one?
1:52 am — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
I sleep in a racing car. Do you?
2:27 am — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
![Racing Car](https://frinkiac.com/img/S08E06/620619.jpg)
2:29 am — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
The revolution is over:

(http://youtu.be/hKs-2dRVqak "Despicable!")
2:44 am — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
jimothy:
> You should attack your elected politicians who setup a system that allows for unfettered entrepreneurship.

That's the opposite of what's the politicians set up. They set up a system that grants Mylan a monopoly, and compounded the problem by pushing a system of insurance that isolates most patients from the true cost of service, so companies are able to raise prices with little objection.

This couldn't be more different from a free market and "unfettered entrepreneurship". It's completely fettered!
2:30 pm — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
A) I doubt it actually expires after a year. Wouldn't surprise me if its good for two years but they say one year to get more money.

B) This is the problem with a monopoly enforced by the government. In a free market, there would be tens of "EpiPens" all costing ten bucks each. If you want that, time to start pulling down the walls of laws and regulations.
3:30 pm — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
catfood:
actually, there is a dude working on a competing version he intends to sell for about fifty bucks. getting fda approval's a bitch, tho.
5:14 pm — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
jimothy:
The cycle continues: Government policy creates an f'd up situation. The public, as well as government, blame "greed" and "capitalism", and call for more government interference. Lather, rinse, repeat.
5:25 pm — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
Q*Bert:
> actually, there is a dude working on a competing version

Hmm...I'm not so sure I want my injectable life-saving medication from "a dude" working on the cheap either. Sounds a bit sketchy.
6:38 pm — Wednesday, 24 August 2016
Reality Mights:
Hey, apparently some Democratic Senator's daughter is the CEO of the epipen company.

Why doesn't he exert some leverage and get her to lower the price?
9:54 pm — Wednesday, 24 August 2016