/linked/2016/09/01/samsung-note-7-boom

Comments

chas_m:
I'm not one for conspiracy theories but ... a Galaxy Note 7 recall on the eve of the iPhone 7 debut? Wow, that is serendipity on a quantum scale.

That said, I'm not one of those laughing at Samsung. There but for the grace of good fortune goes Apple, Google, and anyone else who makes devices that use batteries. As this is a potentially life-threatening defect, I hope Samsung can get all the sold units back as quickly as possible.
4:56 am — Friday, 2 September 2016
> There but for the grace of good fortune goes Apple, Google, and anyone else who makes devices that use batteries.

5:34 am — Friday, 2 September 2016
gruber circlejerk:
> I would love to see the names of the “industry watchers” who think this fiasco will “upgrade Samsung’s credibility”.

Well, they never recalled the previous generation Note 5 for a remarkable design flaw when putting in the stylus backwards.
11:16 am — Friday, 2 September 2016
catfood:
yeah. 'upgrade' is a valid term in this case.
2:02 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
FFS:
Man I totally forgot that time when Jesus Christ himself was running Apple and they recalled 1.8 million powerbook batteries:

But it's really just a problem with shitty Apple competitors who cut corners. Apple LITERALLY NEVER would do such a thing.

I am sure JG would come back with something like "well that was 2006, before the iPhone, so Apple was in dire straights so it's totally understandable." Maybe Jobs wasn't feeling well or something - totally accident?

And actually I am sure Samsung is just being cautious - there was probably 2 fires across millions of devices, and this is the result of having an "incredibly well-selling product." You have a huge recall.
3:07 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
My Optional Name:
>no. there but for extensive design and testing go anyone who uses batteries. samsung failed on at least one of those counts.

Bingo. Can't undercut Apple on pricing if you are spending on frivolous things like QC.
3:11 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
@FFS:
> And actually I am sure Samsung is just being cautious - there was probably 2 fires across millions of devices

How my ass taste?

> > Samsung said that, so far, 35 battery episodes involving the Note 7 had been registered. Reports of the problem first started to emerge online, as consumers posted photographs and videos of the charred remains of phones they said had burst into flames, usually while being recharged.
7:44 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
FFS:
Like chas_m said, every single vendor has been hit with this - I wouldn't even be surprised if everyone buys the same batteries. Sony, Samsug, IBM, Apple, Tesla. Boeing could tell you something about these kinds of batteries also.
I agree it's ironic as fuck but every device with these kinds of batteries can blow - or did you miss the iPhone bursting into flames on the Quantas flight?
8:50 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
@FFS:
> And "2" was hyperbole obviously - 35 out of several million isn't exactly an emergency recall - notice it's even voluntary.

Yeah, but it's been what, a week or two?

Really, though, I'm just engaging in a little schadenfreude. Carry on. :)
9:16 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
Q*Bert:
The only good thing is that because these fires/explosions happen only when charging (i.e. plugged in), no one is likely to have it in their pocket when it happens, and they're likely not talking on it, though people do sometimes talk on a plugged in phone.
11:38 pm — Friday, 2 September 2016
>or did you miss the iPhone bursting into flames on the Quantas flight?

Quantas?
3:54 am — Saturday, 3 September 2016
Anonymous®:
35 reported fires - one for a tech journalist.
3:28 pm — Saturday, 3 September 2016