/linked/2016/09/11/si-iphone-7-plus

Comments

They look like cheap smartphone photos. I was disappointed.
1:38 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
JonathanJK:
These photos are shit, they are just poorly composed snaps. The second to last is the best one. This isn't a good test of the new camera.

Also out the side shot of the medals, all of them are overblown, the exposure should have accounted for the medals.

I'm wowed for the wrong reasons.
1:41 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Hairy Lime:
Those fourth-tier drag queens in the camo onesies give me the creeps.
1:59 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Q*Bert:
I don't think they're "utter shit" by any stretch, but nothing really special. But they are sharp at least.

Dynamic range is still a big problem. To me the blown highlights are even more of a "tell" than the depth of field is.
1:59 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Q*Bert:
> Those fourth-tier drag queens in the camo onesies give me the creeps.

Seriously, that is a pretty gnarly lineup. I mean you'd think an NFL team could afford some higher-class talent (i.e. side job from upscale strip clubs).
2:01 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
>The iPhone 7 Plus has a 12–megapixel telephoto camera that offers new zooming capabilities.

Except it doesn't have a telephoto lens.
2:20 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Col. Kangaroo:
Unlike the supposedly barf-inducing clash of Minion and San Francisco that I couldn't notice without being told, the huge depth of field of these makes these look like they're from a cheap camera phone. It's just weird to see the crowd in the background more or less in focus.
3:55 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Q*Bert:
On the plus side for Apple, the lenses they use to shoot NFL games generally run about $10K-$15K alone...throw in an additional ~$6K-$7K for the camera.
4:49 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Where's the fucking bokeh? Everything's in focus in all of the pics!
5:44 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
Even a cheap SLR looks a lot impressive.

Buy a Canon, prime lens and you'll take better pics than this on your first day of using it.
6:09 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
+1 to anyone who thinks that this photo series looks completely bland and cheap (besides perhaps this parachute guy).

Also : the similar distance and framing makes you 'feel' in every picture that the photographer is using a smartphone.
7:03 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
The photos Apple showed at the demo, of their 'new' (ie. last seen in the HTC M8 which also had stereo speakers) depth of field generator thing, whatever the fuck they're calling it, were very suspicious. They were all very oddly composed - with the subject's head extremely close to the lens. As any photographer will tell you, this is the way you trick decent bokeh with kit that's not really cut for getting it (one whose aperture isn't sufficiently wide or whose sensor isn't Full Frame - or both).

I think they've oversold. I don't think the Sports Illustrated photographer would've got bokeh even with their HTC rip off thing switched on.

9:28 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
+1 on the blown highlights - especially on the one where they're showing their shirts. These photos would not publishable at a major newspaper. If you filed these photos, you'd be in big trouble.
9:39 am — Monday, 12 September 2016
CB:
Yep, they look like smart phone photos. The blown highlights and harsh shadows are give-aways. The fact that the photographer was *RIGHT THERE* standing right in front of the subjects is the reason they look close, not because of some "telephoto" lens. In fact, they mostly look like wide angle shots.

Bright day-lit scenes are not really that challenging for any modern digital camera.
2:06 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
There is also something extremely frustrating about this 4:3-ish ratio. It looks like the reporter wanted his frame square or 16:9-ish.. and compromised each time.

3:09 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
Nokia's CEO was right:
They're definitely a step up, but they're more saturated than a normal point and shoot.
4:18 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
They look like over saturated photos taken in broad daylight from any high end cell phone that costs more than 600 bucks.
5:07 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
Vanilla Dry Ice:
The photos on the site are 635 x 476. They look like shit because they're rendered on the page like this. I'd like to see the full-res versions on a Retina display.

I'm sure at fullsize (the markup has them at fullsize but, like I wrote, they're scaled down considerably) the crowd in the background would look a lot more lifelike; right now they're anonymous dots.
5:20 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
sweet jesus, the photo with the medals - just a terrible job. The medals are what your eye is drawn to, they're the subject of the photo. AND THEY'RE FUCKING BLOWN OUT.

Grubes, your Apple hard on is so damn big, its stabbed your eyeballs
5:54 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
I don't know shit about photography but these look very average, especially for outdoors.
6:40 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
@Vanilla Dry Ice

I'm talking about resolution.

It definitely looks like the person taking pictures was used to 3:2 aspect ratio, and was cut short by the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPhone.

Also: it's easy to mess up framing when using the iOS camera viewfinder.

7:12 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
oops i'm talking about aspect ratio, NOT resolution.
7:13 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
anonymynous:
>Grubes, your Apple hard on is so damn big, its stabbed your eyeballs

What an enjoyable observation.

I think we all know what's going on:

1. Apple has an advertisement in SI for which they controlled the copy.
2. No one involved gives a fuck about the finer points of the pictures.
3. There are some pictures of a sport.
4. Gruber is an idiot.
7:28 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
Sean Schubert:
Unassuming Fireball
===============

by Sean Schubert

An iPhone Advert
------------------

Sunday, 11 September 2016

First of all, sorry for not posting anything of substance lately. (I do have other hobbies, you know!)

Secondly, apologies in advance for the pointlessness of this post.

Today I saw an iPhone advert.

Thank you for your time and I would welcome your comments and feedback.
7:32 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
Sean just gets better and better
7:42 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
select Sean's post

right click

speech > start speaking
9:24 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016
> speech > start speaking

I'm not exactly sure why, but it made me laugh out loud.
9:54 pm — Monday, 12 September 2016