/linked/2016/09/15/bluetooth-surpasses-wired

Comments

Not Anonymous:
1. Bluetooth headphones have surpassed standard headphones in DOLLAR sales. They're significantly more expensive, so this isn't surprising.

2. Apple appears to be VERY late to Bluetooth headphone the party.

3. McDonalds, ranked by dollar sales, is the leader in restaurant. Yum.

4. You repeatedly focus only on metrics that make Apple look good or their perceived enemy look bad. This isn't journalism; it's propaganda. DF used to be a decent blog, but now it's a rag. And you're seeing this is your collapsing traffic numbers. Maybe you don't care, but your sponsor-less weeks will continue growing.
7:14 am — Thursday, 15 September 2016
The biggest rip-off in headphones, ranked by cost to quality ratio: Beats.
9:29 am — Thursday, 15 September 2016
John Gruber:
Not Anonymous : You're the sucker for still reading my site/
11:57 am — Thursday, 15 September 2016
Hateful BB-8:
@Not Anonymous:

1. So? It demonstrates that they're good products contrary to the FUD we keep hearing now that Apple has joined the game (funny... why wasn't all this anti-BT headphones chatter happening prior to Apple getting in?)

2. FFS. They're ALWAYS late to every market. Name something they were first with... waiting... waiting.... I love people who criticize Apple for this. It's a meaningless criticism, you dipshit. That's part of their strategy. It always has been.

3. I don't understand your argument. First you argue that this market share metric is meaningless because the product is costly, now you're switching gears and talking about McDonalds who is market share leader by volume. Do you have a point to make or are you just flailing for something shitty to say about Apple?

4. That answers my question. You're flailing. Now you're attacking Gruber which has fuck-all to do with BT headphones.

You may want to note: it doesn't take a genius to do the math and see that the weekly revenue from DF sponsors alone multiplied by the number of years DF has been online and the number of weeks per year makes Gruber a millionaire many times over. So what if DF is on the decline? I doubt he and his massive pile of cash are losing sleep over it.
2:07 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
Hateful BB-8:
Gruber be like...

![gruber](https://pix-media.s3.amazonaws.com/blog/778/75135-Breaking-Bad-money-bed-Huell-5-pJrx.jpeg "gruber")
2:11 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
Hateful BB-8:
So let's assume he's only been profitable for the last 10 years, sells only 45 sponsorships of the year (although we've seen numerous years where he sells them all) and average the cost at $5K (though it's currently $8K and seems to be selling out.)

10 x 45 x $5000 = $2,250,000

And that's worst-case scenarios. The lifetime revenue of DF is probably significantly more than that.

Even in a "bad year," Gruber is raking it the fuck in. Let's say he only sells 40 weeks of the year at $4000.

40 x $4000 = $160,000

Most people spend their lives working 9-to-5 earning half that, if they're lucky.

Stop being jealous of the guy. It just makes you look like an asshole.
2:17 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
rasputin:
For years Gruber was knocking it out of the park but I guess it's easy for any fan boy to appear smart when Apple is creating one great product after another. It is now clear that he is just another shill in the same mold of dalrymple and ritchie.

@John Gruber - You're right, I hate myself a little every time I visit this crappy blog. I can only console myself that it is now just once or twice a week. Pretty soon I, like many of his former readers, will be gone.
2:18 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
@ John Gruber

If it weren't for DFWC, this would just be another pundit blog from someone who ought to pay Jobs royalties on his reality distortion field rhetoric trick.
2:30 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
@Hateful BB-8

Its less jealous than the lazy shilling he does. I started ready DF because he was a good writing defending Apple accurately. He rarely writes any more, and he now defends Apple like a member of the left he is- by lying and misleading.

Its also funny that Grubs makes so much money, and yet thinks he isn't rich, and would rather tax the shit out of me instead of paying more taxes voluntarily.

Fuck the right white liberal Grubs is.
2:37 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
*ahhh rich white liberal.
2:37 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
FFS:
I am not just jealous I am also appalled. Most people would be ashamed to rake in that kind of money doing nothing more than jacking off onto an iPad (remember, he doesn't even need an actual computer to do this job). I am equally appalled by Pewtie Pie and everyone else who can print money by spewing shitcock over the internet.
Also, I remain amazed that $4k is worth it - think, have you ever clicked on a JG sponsor? Oh yeah me neither.
Anyway, yes I wish I could do nothing but twat and read apple pr0n all day and make six figures. Sure as shit would be an easy life. But instead I am stuck actually creating software and not just consuming and jacking off.
2:42 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
Hateful BB-8:
You have never worked in marketing/advertising, I take it. Click-throughs are not the goal. Keeping your brand in front of eyeballs is. Just having your name/logo on a highly trafficked website is enough. The click-throughs are icing on the cake.
3:26 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
Hateful BB-8:
"Most people would be ashamed to rake in that kind of money doing nothing more than jacking off onto an iPad"

Fair enough but when he tries other things (podcast, publishing software, etc.) there's no shortage of people here raking him over the coals. Just seems like seething jealousy to me.

And hey, he's managed to sell his brand. He's managed to make himself the product. And as anyone in marketing will tell you, that's a damn hard thing to do and worth ever penny it generates. So what if he jacks off on DF? That's what people seem to dig.
3:28 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
Not Anonymous:
Gruber from three days ago:

"From that, Ehrenkranz and Mic.com chose to run the headline: “Apple Responds to Diversity Criticism: ‘We Had a Canadian’ Onstage at iPhone 7 Event”. As I’ve written recently, headlines matter. This headline is egregious."

Exactly like "NPD: BLUETOOTH CAPABLE HEADPHONE SALES SURPASS NON-BLUETOOTH SALES" which is entirely dishonest and entirely Apple-serving. Bluetooth headphones have surpassed non-bluetooth headphones in revenue not in sales. Egregious clickbait.
5:28 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
> Just seems like seething jealousy to me.

I think it's more disbelief than jealousy.
8:11 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
> Bluetooth headphones have surpassed non-bluetooth headphones in revenue not in sales. Egregious clickbait.

It is fair to say they have surpassed them in sales. Sales usually means dollars. When referring to volume one usually says "unit sales".
8:13 pm — Thursday, 15 September 2016
buddies:
but the units we're interested in are dollars!
5:41 am — Saturday, 17 September 2016
buddies:
but the units we're interested in are dollars!
5:41 am — Saturday, 17 September 2016