/linked/2016/09/24/marshall-desktop-documents

Comments

Q*Bert:
I think this is something I'll eventually use and will be great, but it's definitely the kind of thing I hold off on enabling until the OS is at like 10.12.3 or later. Just way too many things that can go wrong with dire consequences. Same as it was for File Vault (whole disk encryption).

Even though I'll wait, that doesn't excuse Apple from not making it work perfectly right out of the gate though, they did a half-assed job as usual. The original iDisk had horrible bugs that resulted in actual data loss and puzzling error messages, and those of us who used it haven't forgotten it. Apple needs to learn that anything dealing with your personal data can not be flakey in any way and they still have not learned that lesson. There's a reason why people trust Google more with this kind of thing.
7:54 pm — Saturday, 24 September 2016
Q*Bert:
I should add that I've been using the newer CloudKit-based services iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library and have found both to work well and be very reliable (I've got them both synced to 5 different devices). That's a step in the right direction but I still don't trust Apple rolling out big new services.
7:57 pm — Saturday, 24 September 2016
Where is Q*Bert and what have you done to him
9:47 am — Sunday, 25 September 2016
Vanilla Dry Ice:
Ignoring the privacy Dumpster fire that is Google, why are their cloud services peaks and mountains beyond Apple's? Do they hire PhDs, whereas Apple hires interns? Do Apple recruiters hang out at community colleges, whereas Google's hang out at Carnegie-Mellon and Urbana-Champaign? Does Google use real server software, whereas Apple uses freeware and changes the date on their servers in order to not have to pay for the unlock codes?

What the fuck is really going on?
3:20 pm — Sunday, 25 September 2016
Lunchtime? Already?:
@vanilla ice: The B-team UX people work on MacOS.

Although they definitely aren't as bad as the UX abortion that is the Home app.
5:09 am — Monday, 26 September 2016
Given Apple's cloud history I am interested to see how the AirPod pairing thing goes...if that isn't rock solid they lose a lot of their magic.
2:48 pm — Monday, 26 September 2016
piece of kit:
@ass

AirPod has nothing to do with "the cloud". Absolutely zero. Nada.
4:08 pm — Monday, 26 September 2016
jimothy:
@piece of kit:

Actually, it does:

> AirPods connect automatically with all your Apple devices. They’re simultaneously connected to your iPhone and Apple Watch, and sound switches instantly between the devices. Want to listen to your Mac or iPad? Just choose AirPods on those devices. (Requires iCloud account and macOS Sierra, iOS 10, or watchOS 3.)

4:53 pm — Monday, 26 September 2016
Sure about that?
5:01 pm — Monday, 26 September 2016
Flying Fuck:
This is why I never fucking use features like this from Apple. The fucking llama-humpers in Cupertino apparently aren't dogfooding their own shit anymore.
7:33 pm — Monday, 26 September 2016