/linked/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch

Comments

So, no comment about how modular devices rarely work, as in Google's ill-fated modular phone project? Just "intriguing"?
9:04 pm — Thursday, 20 October 2016
Also, wouldn't this be more like the "mirrorless camera" of gaming?

PCs and (to a lesser degree) the Sony/Microsoft consoles already occupy the high-end which would be comparable to DSLRs. Maybe the PC is more like a medium-format DSLR, while the PS4/Xbone are like a 35mm/APS-C DSLR?

9:08 pm — Thursday, 20 October 2016
> I was also not aware of DSLRs behaving differently when they were "docked" versus portable.

Are you honestly that dense, or are you just trying to be a jackass?
9:31 pm — Thursday, 20 October 2016
>Are you honestly that dense, or are you just trying to be a jackass?

12:56 am — Friday, 21 October 2016
ano:
> Just "intriguing"?

I think Gruber is angling for Apple to eventually acquire Nintendo
1:33 am — Friday, 21 October 2016
/pol/itician:
>I think Gruber is angling for Apple to eventually acquire Nintendo

STFU. Apple only acquires brands that appeal to niggers.
3:34 am — Friday, 21 October 2016
Q*Bert:
> I don't know. Maybe you can explain to me how DSLRs transform into another type of device when docked or not?

I guess I'm honestly that dense too, because I don't get the comparison either.

To me, a more apt metaphor is "it's the PowerBook Duo + Duo Dock of gaming."

6:33 am — Friday, 21 October 2016
Off The Verge:
Can't really say anything intelligent about Switch without specifications + more details about the dock.
9:06 am — Friday, 21 October 2016
This is a fucking inaccurate, tortured analogy and ((Gruber)) should be ashamed of himself.
3:10 pm — Friday, 21 October 2016
Guys, the analogy is not that fucking difficult to comprehend.

SIMILARLY, phones have taken over the pocket-sized game market. But a minority of people may opt for a specialized device. Such as a Nintendo Switch.

IN THIS WAY, the Nintendo Switch may be the "DSLR" of the gaming market.
5:12 pm — Friday, 21 October 2016
Q*Bert:
@anonymous, it still doesn't completely fit. Wouldn't PS4/Xbone be the "DSLRs" of the gaming world, the old-school, bulky version of the pocketable gaming computer?

Or, if you have to use portability as a parameter, wouldn't the PSP/Vita already have that title?

Quality-wise, we don't really know yet how powerful the Switch is, making it hard to compare to a DSLR from a quality perspective. Is it more powerful than a Vita or Nintendo DS? Probably, but it's a lot newer too. In a number of ways camera phones are better than low-end DSLRs of 5-10 years ago.
7:47 pm — Friday, 21 October 2016
>Cell phones have dominated the pocket-sized camera space. But a minority of people still use DSLRs; a larger, more expensive, specialized device.

But the Nintendo Switch is not that. It's the cheap, low-end console. It's like the compact camera that's only slightly better than your phone's camera.

The DSLR analogy is just absurd.
8:59 pm — Friday, 21 October 2016
Holy crap guys, are you seriously this fucking dense?

> Undocked, it’s more like a tablet than a phone, size-wise, which sounds right to me.

So its still "portable" (LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU: therefore, distinct from PS4/XBox One), and yet differentiated enough in size to be distinctly different than a phone or other pocket-sized device (FOR THE COMPREHENSION-CHALLENGED: distinct from a DS or Vita, or phone, which has won this device war already).

You can *disagree* with his analogy if you want, but don't fucking act like it's this much of a fucking challenge to wrap your feeble minds around what he meant!

I mean I hate Gruber as much as the next guy, but come on!
1:10 am — Saturday, 22 October 2016
Off The Verge:
anon gets it
10:34 am — Saturday, 22 October 2016
Q*Bert:
> You can disagree with his analogy if you want, but don't fucking act like it's this much of a fucking challenge to wrap your feeble minds around what he meant!

I don't see how you can criticize people for not "getting" an analogy that's fundamentally flawed and illogical. Good analogies make sense, bad analogies are nothing, they're noise.
5:56 pm — Sunday, 23 October 2016
> I don't see how you can criticize people for not "getting" an analogy that's fundamentally flawed and illogical.

It's not. Your reading comprehension is terrible.
2:17 am — Monday, 24 October 2016