/linked/2016/10/25/aapl-q4-2016

Comments

gruber circlejerk:
Come on Gruber, talk about the decline over all hardware lines. Talk about the 30% decline in China.
10:39 pm — Tuesday, 25 October 2016
anonymous:
> Pretty much in line with expectations.


Insightful.

Sure am glad i read this blog.
1:22 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
>Pretty much in line with expectations.


BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!

Whose expectations? Stock is down in after-hours. So market clearly didn't think it was "in line with expectations". Did Gruber expect Apple to fall so much? If so, where did he talk about it?

iPhone = DOWN

Watch = BIG TIME DOWN

Macs = BIG, BIG TIME DOWN

Everything's gone down. Fir the first time in 15 years, profits are DOWN too!

Cook's killing Apple. Apple Board needs to fire that clown.
1:47 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
yeah, they're practically dead at this point. only $9B in profit this quarter.
1:55 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
how will they ever survive on $100M in profit every day?
1:59 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
Is that really the extent of Gruber's analysis? Isn't this his full-time job?
2:00 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
>yeah, they're practically dead at this point. only $9B in profit this quarter.


If you're not growing, you're dying. Apple's clearly not growing. Profits are mostly irrelevant.

During Ballmer years, MS was also making profits from its cash cows... just like Apple is now. But were they growing? No. They were stagnating and were on the verge of having some serious issues.

Apple's fucked because they're falling behind in everything. They're way behind in the AI and Google's managed to even beat Apple's camera.
2:51 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Publius:
"John Gruber" has got to be the nom de plume for Tim Cook. It literally is the only way to explain the things that he says.
2:56 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
>"John Gruber" has got to be the nom de plume for Tim Cook.

he's a shill. I'm still waiting for him to link to this... I know he knows about it because tons of ppl sent him the link:

[https://steveblank.com/2016/10/24/why-tim-cook-is-steve-ballmer-and-why-he-still-has-his-job-at-apple/](https://steveblank.com/2016/10/24/why-tim-cook-is-steve-ballmer-and-why-he-still-has-his-job-at-apple/)

- Innovation CEOs are almost always replaced by one of their execution VPs
- If they have inherited a powerful business model this often results in gains in revenue and profits that can continue for years
- However, as soon the market, business model, technology shifts, these execution CEOs are ill-equipped to deal with the change – the result is a company obsoleted by more agile innovators and left to live off momentum in its twilight years
3:23 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
> If you're not growing, you're dying. Apple's clearly not growing. Profits are mostly irrelevant.

nothing grows forever. nothing.
3:26 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
To Be Fair:
>Is that really the extent of Gruber's analysis? Isn't this his full-time job?

No, that's drinking.
4:15 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
^^^

Gruber's drunk most of the time in the evening. Even though he's raking in some serious cash with DF, his life is shit.
5:51 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Donerld:
Gruber felt he had to get something up on this quickly, but he's still monitoring Twitter trying to figure out a positve spin on it, or at the very least a diversionary comparison to Apple's competition.

Remember when the Walter Isaacson book came out that made Steve Jobs look like a sociopathic asshole? It took him about two or three weeks to figure out how to spin that, so his review was quite delayed.
5:54 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
>nothing grows forever. nothing.


And? Why isn't Apple growing while Google and Amazon and Microsoft, for example, are?

One simple reason: Cook.
5:56 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Already Said:
"Pretty much in line with expectations."

Did he forget to link to his expectations post?

Or did he just never write about it?
6:03 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
To Be Fair:
>Did he forget to link to his expectations post?

No, he'll just retroactively link to something that agrees with his conclusion. If he'll even bother doing that.
7:48 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
charles:
> Did he forget to link to his expectations post?

To his defense, Apple's own guidance from 3 months ago?
7:49 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
APPLE BTFO!!!

>Apple VP to Clinton chief: "Strong encryption does not eliminate Apple’s ability to give law enforcement meta-data"

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvqr5Z7XYAASncy.jpg[/img]

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/30593
8:39 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
![wikileaks](https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvqr5Z7XYAASncy.jpg)
8:41 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
> And? Why isn't Apple growing while Google and Amazon and Microsoft, for example, are?

because they're much smaller than apple? it's a lot easier to grow 10% of 100 than it is 10% of 1000. but i'm sure you knew that.
9:56 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
I'm not sure what your point is, anon. Apple complies with legal requests, warrants, etc. It doesn't provide the contents of messaging due to the encryption, and it doesn't volunteer information.
9:59 am — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
gruber circlejerk:
> because they're much smaller than apple?

What the fuck? Alphabet and Apple have been jockeying back and forth for the market cap crown all year long.
2:22 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
elbowroom:
There isn't really new here. After the recent explosion of sales thanks to the larger display in the iPhone 6, things will stay this way for a while because most consumers who can afford an iPhone already has one and the replacement rate isn't going up. Xiaomi's shipment just went down by nearly 40% a quarter ago year-to-year as well.

I've seen the Ballmer comparison above and the ironic thing is Ballmer actually prepared Microsoft for a solid future by successfully diversifying the company's portfolio over the years, which made the transition to the cloud services easier. Gates' obsession and culture centered around Office and Windows were holding Ballmer back if anything.



4:13 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
>because they're much smaller than apple? i

stopped reading there.

you're a motherfucking retard.

post less. and don't reproduce. please.
5:28 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
anonymous:
> What the fuck? Alphabet and Apple have been jockeying back and forth for the market cap crown all year lo

market cap has dickall to do with it. let me know when google's revenue gets anywhere near apple's.
11:19 pm — Wednesday, 26 October 2016
Leave a Comment
To leave a comment, install the Safari extension!