/linked/2016/11/07/zdziarski-mbp-ram

Comments

Cool. Lots of pro software idling doesn't use a lot of resources. Who knew.

My favourite part was when he opened some VMs and they used 78MB of RAM.
8:06 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
CB:
See, this is the part of the cycle where DF has acknowledged the frustration with Apple, and is now walking it back.

All I can say is that my MacBook Pro from mid 2012, which has the maximum 16 GB, routinely goes to swap, and that's when I'm running a few browsers, Aperture, MS Office, and a few other small potatoes.
8:35 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
Spin, spin, spin.
8:44 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
Man, the Apple Shill Crew isn't good at this. They were much more adept at bragging about good press.
8:59 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
>Spin, spin, spin.

Is that the Apple press, or the HDs on the RAM starved Macs?
9:04 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
what in tarnation:
Apple needs to make WestWorld style robots so I can fuck my Mac Pro as well as do all my web development in multiple VMs with 64GB each.
9:35 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
I'm with her:
Remember to vote vagina tomorrow! A vote for the vagina is a blow to a you penises out there.
10:49 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
I'm with her:
One more thing. If you don't want to wait in long lines, remember, you can vote for Hillary from your phone.

![Vote for Hillary](https://i.imgur.com/YKul5CM.jpg)
11:34 pm — Monday, 7 November 2016
Q*Bert:
> “professionally-type-stuff”

I'm supposed to take advice from this guy?
5:08 am — Tuesday, 8 November 2016
Q*Bert:
If you're in After Effects doing high res work, it's trouble. Having only the OS and AE loaded, you're probably down to about 10 GB free. If you're working at 1920x1080 at 60 fps, that's half a gig per second of preview playback. So you only get 20 seconds of preview max.

And, that's only if you had one comp (frame buffer). Typically you'll have LOTS of nested pre-comps, plus effect layers, adjustment layers, shape layers, etc that also take up RAM. And most people working in AE are also going to want a bunch of other apps open as well.
5:13 am — Tuesday, 8 November 2016
knowitall:
How about software devs actually optimize their software? Why should anything need to hold on to gigs of ram perpetually?

Its just bloated software. And the more memory you give them as standard the more bloated we let devs become.

Thats why mobile devices can operate at effectively similar speeds to desktop software without any where near the processing power. You just cant write inefficient software in the same way on a mobile device like you can on a desktop. iOS wont even let you hog the processor in the background like that.

The future of desktop software is better optimized OS's and software, not faster processor and more memory.

2:59 pm — Tuesday, 8 November 2016
TechGirl:
Okay... you can idle a lot of shit on 16GB. Then what?

I'm baffled that even Gruber doesn't see that.
4:11 pm — Tuesday, 8 November 2016
CB:
@TechGirl, because it's easier to just say the issue has been put to bed.
4:48 pm — Tuesday, 8 November 2016
knowitall:
We have SSD's so swap page speeds are super fast. The memory is faster as well. So why is 16gb an issue?

Most people use a few apps at any one time so how can we max out memory?

People forget that this is the primary job of an OS. To time slice processors so everything runs smoothly. I dont understand the modern dev's lust for power. Just shut down things your not using ffs..
5:26 pm — Tuesday, 8 November 2016
He has a SINGLE website open in Safari? What dev has just ONE website open.

He needs to have about 4 windows with 10 tabs each.

Sheesh. Its just DUMB to argue 16GB is enough. I barely get by.
2:06 am — Wednesday, 9 November 2016