/linked/2016/12/06/samsung-jack-off

Comments

So how am I going to listen to music on my S8? Are they going to include USB-C headphones? Or a dongle?

The beauty of the 3.5mm headphone jack is that I could use it with Galaxy, my iPad, my MacBook and my Windows PC. And using that same port, I could plug in external speakers – and use those same speakers with a tv.
9:29 pm — Tuesday, 6 December 2016
The beauty of you being able to afford a Galaxy, iPad, MacBook and PC is that you can afford a couple pairs of bluetooth headphones/earbuds.
9:51 pm — Tuesday, 6 December 2016
gruber circlejerk:
Oh fuck off, John Gruber.

My first set of Lightning headphones had an earpiece cut out the other day. Visited the Apple store and figured I could exchange it, no, a 2+ hour wait in the Genius Bar. Still waiting for my replacement in the mail.

A recent vacation, I forgot my headphones. "Here, use mine," my friend said. Oh, but I can't, they're 3.5mm.

And that's NOT including the first 2 months, until 10.2 beta, where the jack would CUT OUT after listening from 2-5 minutes, OVER AND OVER. I'd have to unplug and replug the jack in to continue listening.

Courage my fucking ass. Shove it.
10:28 pm — Tuesday, 6 December 2016
that's actually a valid question - is samsung going to include usb-c headphones and/or a dongle? or bluetooth headphones, to one up apple? it'll be interesting to see if people bitch about their solution like they did apple's.
10:30 pm — Tuesday, 6 December 2016
Jesus Christ, Gruber really takes this petty shit personally.

And those reviews have aged just fine, because the complaints are perfectly valid, unlike Gruber's bitching and moaning about how people just don't appreciate how *courageous* Apple are being by screwing over customers.
10:41 pm — Tuesday, 6 December 2016
To clarify: I have not against Lightning as the successor to the 3.5mm jack.

However, I am against a dizzying array of competing standards replacing a single versatile elegant solution.
12:00 am — Wednesday, 7 December 2016
Sebby:
My iPhone 6s Plus is still in use, for the whole charge+listen thing while I'm in bed. It works well with all my headphones and speakers. iPhone 7 is purely for outdoor use or stand-up use indoors, but never as an iPod.

Apple's decision was not courageous. It was entirely self-serving, ineptly executed, and utterly stupid. Mr. Gruber and all the other Apple apologists will simply never acknowledge this, but any lesson that Samsung learns from its experience actually has the possibility to advance a decent alternative to the standard jack, which really *would* be courageous, because they would be setting the industry on course for a bright future that is not locked up in Apple's proprietary connector but in USB-C which everybody, including Apple in its own MacBook Pro, really will be supporting going forward.
4:05 am — Wednesday, 7 December 2016
>Which, yes, took courage.

Gruber is such a fucking obnoxious dicknose.

Phil the Shill is a fucking tool.
4:25 pm — Wednesday, 7 December 2016