/linked/2016/12/08/puzder

Comments

Da Mac:
Instead, we should have some tenured professor as Secretary of Labor, because nobody understands wage slavery better than a tenured professor who has never held a job in their lives.
8:53 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
Da Mac:
The current secretary of labor: a career politician.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/osec
8:56 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
anonymous:
> because nobody understands wage slavery better than a tenured professor who has never held a job in their lives.

Please give me a single example of a tenured professor who has never held a job in his or her life.
9:18 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
Publius:
Daring Fireball is quickly reaching its nadir.
9:33 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
anonymous:
Yeah, this is bad. The comments are the sole reason I still come here.
9:34 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
Da Mac:
How about this guy?

https://www.k-state.edu/english/people/hedrick.html
9:41 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
anonymous:
Hey JG

political impact was months ago
9:48 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
anonymous:
Daring Fireball is dead. The site has turned to shit.
11:18 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
anonymous:
I don't want it to be dead though. I liked Gruber's commentary on Apple. I can't figure out why he's putting so little into his work these days. Even his political commentary isn't commentary at all. It's just links to the thoughts of others.
11:58 pm — Thursday, 8 December 2016
gruber123:
@anonymous

He may be depressed thanks to a combination of alcoholism + the failure of Vesper.

A failed business is brutal on the psyche (although it can also be quite freeing).
12:14 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
Will the last person reading Gruber's leftover New Yorker links please turn out the lights.
12:16 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
gruber123:
I am enjoying the new site quite a bit. It's teaching me a lot about how a smart person can ignore the entire concept of intellectual honesty.
12:18 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
To Be Fair:
>because nobody understands wage slavery better than a tenured professor who has never held a job in their lives.

I'm pretty sure "tenured professor" is a job.
12:27 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
Da Mac:
If you're not getting paid by the hour it isn't a "job."

I suppose the new elite democrats don't know the difference between a "job" and a "career."

12:56 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
@Da Mac:
By that logic, consultants and lawyers have jobs, not careers.
1:37 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
Da Mac:
Lawyers are generally paid salary at a firm.

Same with consultants.

Solo people are 1099s, which is even more of a job than you can believe. And yes, being a solo is worse than a job.
1:57 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
To Be Fair:
>If you're not getting paid by the hour it isn't a "job."

That's an extremely unusual definition of "job" you have there.
2:33 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
I actually went back to find all the passionate posts about cabinet appointments from previous administration transitions. Couldn't find any.

I just get the feeling Grubes has never given a moment's thought to who the Secretary of Labor is, like most people.

Did you guys hear how the new MacBook Pros battery dies after three hours or so? I was considering getting one but now I'm holding off after hearing this. I get great battery life now.
3:18 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
Da Mac:
@to be fair

The sad thing is that it's only unusual in these sorts of places. In real life (or in "real America") it's an obvious thing.
4:41 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
Do you guys think he's drunk as he writes this shit?
5:35 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
> Did you guys hear how the new MacBook Pros battery dies after three hours or so?

mine certainly lasts longer than 3 hours. it's less than my 2015 MBP, but it's way more than 3 hours.
5:48 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
@Da Mac

Whenever I hear the word "real" in an argument, I reach for my facepalm
8:45 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
If you guys want the truth about new MBP, watch this video:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1QKW7gzTIs](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1QKW7gzTIs)

Buggy as shit, heats up, battery lasts few hours when you actually do something with it, total garbage GPU that gets single-frames in games and is useless for everything else since it's AMD.

((Gruber)) will never link to criticism like this.
9:25 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
To Be Fair:
>The sad thing is that it's only unusual in these sorts of places. In real life (or in "real America") it's an obvious thing.

Yeah, no. It's extremely unusual and idiotic, and unique to you, apparently.

A career is not mutually exclusive with a job. A career is a series of jobs over an extended period of time.

A job does not have to be paid hourly. For example, you can be self-employed as a programmer, and get a job to develop an application. You can be paid a fixed amount for doing this job rather than an hourly rate, and it's still a job.

In short, you have no idea what you're talking about.
9:56 am — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
> Buggy as shit, heats up, battery lasts few hours when you actually do something with it, total garbage GPU that gets single-frames in games and is useless for everything else since it's AMD.


That hasn't been my experience at all, but whatever.
1:04 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
i do have issues with sleep/wake in clamshell mode - most of the time the thunderbolt display backlight will come on, but nothing shows on screen. if i unplug the thunderbolt dongle, open the laptop, it'll work again. pain in the ass, but it's fixable via software.
2:42 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
Da Mac:
@To Be Fair

So you say, fake news peddler. In the old days it was the difference between blue collar and white collar. They don't talk about that shit anymore for some reason.
3:29 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
Da Mac:
@to be fair

If you need some other authority rather than me, here's a huffpo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dedrick-muhammad/salaried-vs-hourly-work_b_2734218.html


http://www.job-interview-site.com/job-vs-career-the-difference-between-a-job-and-a-career.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/career-transitions/201206/job-career-calling-key-happiness-and-meaning-work
3:33 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
gruber circlejerk:
Well guys, I'm out. It's Friday, December 9th, I'm deleting my Daring Fireball bookmark. I may check in occasionally, but I won't click the bookmark routinely, several times daily, out of boredom.
3:57 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
> i do have issues with sleep/wake in clamshell mode - most of the time the thunderbolt display backlight will come on, but nothing shows on screen. if i unplug the thunderbolt dongle, open the laptop, it'll work again. pain in the ass, but it's fixable via software.

I have had better luck with the "digital multi port" adapter than the TB3 to TB2 adapter, fwiw.
7:04 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
> I have had better luck with the "digital multi port" adapter than the TB3 to TB2 adapter, fwiw.

doesn't support my fancy apple thunderbolt display though.
8:02 pm — Friday, 9 December 2016
anonymous:
> doesn't support my fancy apple thunderbolt display though.


True enough, that is annoying. I haven't used mine with my TB display, but if the TB3 to TB2 adapter didn't work well I'd definitely be annoyed. I did have trouble with the TB3 to TB2 adapter with my el gate tb hub.

Hopefully they fix it with a software update. They did a software update for the digital multipart adapter, which helped things.
4:16 am — Monday, 12 December 2016
Leave a Comment
To leave a comment, install the Safari extension!