/linked/2016/12/14/oral-history-get-a-mac

Comments

Dicknose:
Wow, we are reducing ourselves to masturbating over Apple advertising campaigns now.

The impact of these advertisements was amazing and magical. Apple obviously killed off Microsoft with them.

Who uses Windows or Office anymore?

It's sad honestly how much looking into the past Apple is doing lately instead of pushing forward.

How much time is left on my MBP battery? I'd look but my watch is bricked.

Get the joke John? Fixed the problem by breaking the watch.

Don't forget to buy the book!
11:18 pm — Wednesday, 14 December 2016
Daring Hemorrhoid:
Regalia
11:35 pm — Wednesday, 14 December 2016
Daring Hemorrhoid:
Let's Make Apple Great Again!
11:36 pm — Wednesday, 14 December 2016
Going Going Gone!:
Next up: designing the Apple Extended Keyboard ][, one of the best keyboard in history.

11:46 pm — Wednesday, 14 December 2016
Daring Hemorrhoid:
Let's make DFwC great again!
12:53 am — Thursday, 15 December 2016
>Make Apple Great Again

#MAGA!

Step 1: Fire Cook!
2:24 am — Thursday, 15 December 2016
That's weird, no mention of the watch bricking yet.
2:37 am — Thursday, 15 December 2016
elbowroom:
I enjoyed the podcast. I didn't know Hodgman liked his role so much.

It was a fascinating time in Apple's history. The Mac unit sales jumped by about two times between 2006-2008 but the iPods were still on the upswing during same time period and reportedly Jobs was very busy putting all the company's top priority on the iPhone during that time. "The iPhone had been such an all-encompassing project at Apple that this time there was no backup plan."

In a way I'm very intrigued by Cook's decisions since Apple is still very selective about what to update and release within there product line up even though there are a lot of low hanging fruits to be picked.

Whether it's a slavish adherence to Jobs' precedence or something that'll bear a meaningful fruit later remains to be seen.
2:40 am — Thursday, 15 December 2016
piece of kit:
Watching the ads makes me realize how bad macOS has gotten: many of the ads target annoyances that now exist in the Mac world.
2:53 am — Thursday, 15 December 2016
Tinface:
Gruber is reduced to nostalgia about marketing in order to find anything positive to say about Apple.

I think is alcoholism is due to his favorite company falling apart, and the fact that he cannot criticize because he will lose access. And if he does, it will upset his whole world view. He's having a very hard time right now.
11:50 am — Thursday, 15 December 2016
>I think is alcoholism is due to his favorite company falling apart,

1. He's been an alcoholic for years.
2. Apple isn't "falling apart."

3:22 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
ano:
It was an unexpectedly effective campaign, and this oral history was well put together.
11:43 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
enough already:
> Justin Long: Once, somebody just yelled across the street at me, "Computer!" They screamed "computer" at me.

amazing.