/linked/2016/12/15/super-mario-run

Comments

I'm glad noted game enthusiast John Gruber has given this the thumbs-up.
9:49 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
jimothy:
They don't even need to prompt you for your location: They can read your region (Settings > General > Language & Region > Region) programmatically via NSLocale.

This won't return where you're physically located, just what country you said you live in when you set up your iPhone. But that's apparently exactly what Nintendo wants; they don't need to know you've been at the same Philly whiskey bar for 96 straight hours. They just want to know you're from the United States.

And then you've got to set up a Nintendo account, just to play what is a rather simple game. Game Center might not be the greatest thing in the world, but it exists.

What's the point of all my rambling? It's that Nintendo still has some basics to learn when it comes to developing for iOS, and fitting in the iOS ecosystem.
10:29 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
Daring Hemorrhoid:
Sea change
10:36 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
ano:
> Game Center might not be the greatest thing in the world, but it exists.

barely.
11:22 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
Dicknose:
>The game looks and sounds and I think even feels like a real Mario game.

No. No it does not. It's a basic runner that plays like shit.

It is not fun and the game play mechanic is shit.

The game sucks ass. Fuck off Nintendo. And fuck off John "Shit for Brains Gamer" Gruber.

>Nintendo and Apple are going to make a ton of money on this.

Yes. Yes they are. There are enough Apple and Nintendo fanbois that will spend money on this piece of shit. It's offensive that Nintendo and Apple would allow this hot mess.

>Now my thumb hurts.

Because you played a shit game for an hour or so.

The game is a garbage runner and has nothing worth spending money over.
11:56 pm — Thursday, 15 December 2016
My Optional Name:
>Game Center might not be the greatest thing in the world...

Folks, we have a solid contender here for Understatement of the Year!
5:25 am — Friday, 16 December 2016
JonathanJK:
Played the first level. Had two connection error pre game. Found out Mario jumps over half the shit anyway so why bother? Deleted.
8:59 am — Friday, 16 December 2016
jimothy:
>> Game Center might not be the greatest thing in the world...
>Folks, we have a solid contender here for Understatement of the Year!

My point is, if I want to play with "friends," there's already a system in place for doing that on iOS, and had Nintendo used that instead of prompting players to sign up for their own system, this would be one less obstacle in the way of actually playing the damn game.

First impressions count for a lot, and when you've got to click through a gazillion screens to play a glorified Canabalt, the first impression is not good.
2:04 pm — Friday, 16 December 2016
Daring Hemorrhoid:
That Pokemon Go signup is pretty annoying, but I did it. I never remember my password either, which causes problems when the various updates force me to reauthenticate.

They do it (Nintendo and Niantic) wants data about you that they can't get from Game Center.
3:46 pm — Friday, 16 December 2016
Hateful BB-8:
Dicknose, just please shut up. You sound like a snotty-ass fanboy angry because... what... it's not available on Android? Get a fucking life, gay wad.
8:05 am — Saturday, 17 December 2016