/linked/2016/12/20/airpods-beats

Comments

Vanilla Dry Ice:
Well, as John would never know, the AirPods aren't good for when you're EXERCISING in the gym, pounding the treadmill, or out riding a mountain bike.
11:45 pm — Tuesday, 20 December 2016
Dicknose:
Being a headphone review a few words comparing sound quality would have been nice.

A headphone comparison is useless without any mention of how each pair actually sound.

It's like doing a restaurant review and never mentioning the food.

I have had tons of Apple headphones over the years and not once have any of them sounded good or fit proper and comfortable.
11:51 pm — Tuesday, 20 December 2016
Flaring Hemorrhoid:
Spectacular
12:10 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
jimothy:
@VDI: Grubes did actually mention that they stayed in his ears surprisingly well when we went running with them. Of course, a nuanced point of view isn't as much fun as just bashing the guy, so fuck him right in the ear.
12:11 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
Dicknose:
@jimothy

Stephen Hawking does more running than Gruber.
12:26 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
heterophobe:
Why listen to music while you're mountain biking? You'll look like those douchebags driving cars while wearing giant headphones.
12:28 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
jimothy:
@heterophobe

You're not getting it. It doesn't have to make sense because fuck Gruber the libtard.
12:30 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
I'll take rubber tips over hard plastic 100% of the time.
1:05 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
I thought design is how it works?
1:46 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
Will Gruber cover the fact that Mac is practically dead?

[https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/20/apple-mac-development-on-the-back-burner/](https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/20/apple-mac-development-on-the-back-burner/)

Cook killed Mac. :(
3:16 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
JonathanJK:
I have those beats, the fact the airpods need siri for volume control is a joke.

I'll stick to the Beats because of that and better battery life.
7:11 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
They both look pretty shitty.
8:21 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
Anonymynous:
@anonymous:
>I thought design is how it works?

Yeah, but Gruber's talking about INDUSTRIAL design.

I refer you to Little Johnny Gub-Gub's helpful primer in his comment on this post: http://daringfireball.net/2016/09/design_as_branding
9:13 am — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
why isn't Gruber talking about Mac becoming abandonware?? it's being discussed all over the social media.
6:50 pm — Wednesday, 21 December 2016

"it’s interesting to see which publications fell for Apple’s pseudo [press] release"

Heh.
7:24 pm — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
jimothy:
Seeing that I've now been imitated a few times on DFwC (the above comments were not from THIS jimothy), I wonder how many other comments that I think are from their namesakes are also from imposters. What a crazy world.
7:52 pm — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
elbowroom:
I have a bunch of Bluetooth headphones and have been using the AirPods for a few days. The AirPods have quirky problems but they are a delight to use. The experience is quintessential Apple and despite the problems I really love using them.
8:48 pm — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
i have both of these sets of headphones. i've used them both in the gym.

the airpods are great. they stay in, even when lying down to do bench press. also no problems when jumping rope or anything else. but obviously they're not isolating. battery life isn't a problem because you always store them in the case, and the case charges them.

the beats sound like shit. they're too muddy and bass heavy. that may actually be a benefit if they don't fit well, you still get some sort of bass. i bought memory foam tips to replace the ones that came with them, and theye fit better. the cord is annoying, even behind your head, but the volume/skip controls are nice.

i use the beats most of the time, because of the isolation mainly.

9:51 pm — Wednesday, 21 December 2016
I also have both of these sets of headphones, and like most commenting idiots here haven't read the source article.

The beats are better to exercise indoors with because they block outside sound. I use the largest tips they come with and it makes a seal that keeps you from hearing other treadmill runners. Plus they have a physical volume control, stay in better, and seem like they're more water resistant. The battery life with the new versions of these is also way better than the series 2s that they replaces.

The AirPods are also pretty amazing. They're good for walking around with outside or when you're in an environment when you want to hear outside sounds. If you're using your iPhone and you want to listen to something on it they are way easier and more natural to pop in than to untangle a cord, jack in, etc. The fact that they sense when they're in your ears makes them super magical to use - no buttons or other nonsense. When I want to change the volume I just use the volume buttons on the phone if it's in my pocket or something. I've never used Siri with them at all but phone calls sound really, really good on them - better than with the wired EarPods in my opinion.
2:18 am — Thursday, 22 December 2016