/linked/2017/01/17/schreiber-amp

Comments

Dicknose:
Evil Google shame on you.

Bad Google, bad dog!

Now let me just take a look at those Google Analytics that load on my own website daringfireball.net.

Maybe people use AMP because it works for them. Ever think of that ya fuckin' genius?
2:11 am — Wednesday, 18 January 2017
jimothy:
Dicknose,

Sure, it may work for them, but that doesn't mean it's perfect or exempt from criticism.

As a web user, rather than website operator, I find AMP annoying enough that I switched to Duck Duck Go on my iPhone (I still use Google on my Macs).

It's been a while since I switched, so I can't even remember what it was I found so infuriating about AMP, but whatever it was, it was enough to push me away. I don't know how common my experience is, but a search (on your search engine of choice) reveals I'm certainly not alone.
1:45 pm — Wednesday, 18 January 2017
Dicknose:
I never said it's perfect and Google deserves competition from the likes of Duck Duck Go aka anonymous Bing.

Google is far from perfect.

But a few choices for people are a good thing. Google is offering a choice for website devs.

That being said I appreciate your comment.
5:42 pm — Wednesday, 18 January 2017
jimothy:
Agreed, it's good that Google is offering a choice for website devs. Well, maybe.

Unfortunately, they're not offering a choice for web visitor. There's currently no way to opt out of AMP as a visitor, so if a website uses AMP, visitors of that website get a flawed experience. And if it's bad for visitors, it's bad for the website owners. But if they don't serve AMP, they may be ranked lower in search results than competing sites that do, so web devs are forced to play along.
6:53 pm — Wednesday, 18 January 2017
jimothy:
"Forced" is too strong of a word; "coerced" or "strongly persuaded" might be more appropriate.
7:28 pm — Wednesday, 18 January 2017
Dicknose:
Great points and well said.

I would say visitors more often than not get a decent experience. More often than not they are getting exactly what they are looking for. Which is what the website wants.

It's not perfect. But what Google is trying to do is offer visitors the information they are looking for. Front and center, without leaving Google of course.

I agree it's flawed. Google is using it clout. When people say "Google it" its like saying use Kleenex, Q-Tips or Bandaids. So yeah, you gotta play along.

Google will also give results based on your previous searches or location. Sometimes that leaves the visitor in a hole of self confirmation.

Not good. confirmation bias is dangerous (maybe too harsh).
1:18 am — Thursday, 19 January 2017
’Nuff Alreddy:
i think AMP should trigger an anti-trust investigation of Google. They have coerced companies into letting Google host their content, not as a mirror, but as a top organic result
11:19 pm — Friday, 20 January 2017