/linked/2017/01/31/cooling-ipad-sales

Comments

toolshed:
Pretty sure this is the same as everyone else's theory.
2:41 am — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Dicknose:
>Pretty sure this is the same as everyone else's theory.

Yup.

Gruber is repeating what everyone already knows. But at least he's not wrong.

But yeah, no new insight here. It's pretty obvious stuff.
2:48 am — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
>There aren’t as many people in the market for iPads today.

Nailed it. What a fucking genius.
2:50 am — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Grubs, do you have a theory on the market for whale oil? My investments just aren't generating the kind of returns I was hoping for.
2:57 am — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
>Gruber is repeating what everyone already knows. But at least he's not wrong.

Gruber saying it makes me wonder if it might be.
3:53 am — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Off The Verge:
The iPad can't replace Macbooks due to design limitations (no USB port, limited storage etc)

MS surface sales are strongly increasing YoY.
10:30 am — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
KK:
Math doesn't work for upgrade cycles to be the issue for a sales decline. The only way for upgrade cycles to cause a decline in sales is if somehow the cycle was growing larger over time.

Real issue is market is much smaller than the pie in the sky Apple boosters thought.
2:32 pm — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Fake Tim Cook:
My Theory...
I have 3 year old iPad.
I want a new iPad Pro but I need to buy a new iPhone.
I need a new iPhone but my MacBook Pro is even older and probably should be replaced first.
A new MacBook Pro is going to run $1600 but I can get a new pair of AirPods for only $160!
I really, really want AirPods but I just dropped a ton of money on Apple Watches for my wife and I.

So in summary I really need to win the lottery.
4:37 pm — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Stroke! Stroke!:
I have every big iPad every made except the 3. They last forever.

My old iPad 2 is apparently being used as a Facebook live streamer by my sister. My kids have the other ones. I have the maxi-pad.

Once you have an Air model, there's literally no technical reason to buy another one, ever. It's just a completely amazing piece of hardware.
5:19 pm — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Off The Verge:
@KK The cycle probably is growing larger over time though, as later iPads will last even longer as useful systems than earlier iPads with much less RAM.
7:44 pm — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
The killer app for iPads was surfing the web and watching videos.

Until the ones from three years ago stop doing that, I have no reason to upgrade.

We can all be looking forward to Apple stopping iOS updates on our iPads to try to force us to buy new ones.
10:32 pm — Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Q*Bert:
My 2012 iPad wasn't the best model, but it still works just fine for Netflix, mail, and light web stuff.
12:18 am — Thursday, 2 February 2017