/linked/2017/02/14/soundsource-3

Comments

Yet another mid-week advertisement.

I wonder what Grubers rate is for these.
7:57 pm — Tuesday, 14 February 2017
I ❤ Amy Jane:
It's nice that Gruber loves his husband.
8:01 pm — Tuesday, 14 February 2017
ano:
eh, I like Rogue Amoeba. There aren't a lot of indie Mac shareware outfits left
8:46 pm — Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Wow, it's like what Windows does for free, out of the box!
11:18 pm — Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Flying Fuck:
@To Be Fair

3:59 am — Wednesday, 15 February 2017
Enough Already:
Which one of you fuckers is the guy responsible for DFWC, anyway? Or did he run away as soon as Spooner showed up, and he forgot to shut this joint down? :)
5:09 am — Wednesday, 15 February 2017
>The Mac does it out of the box as well, you dumb fucking twat. This just groups them into a menubar icon for those of us too fucking lazy to open the sound prefs.

No, it doesn't. The system prefs only gives you control of one input or output at a time. Windows gives you a mixer that lets you control multiple inputs and outputs.

Really, one of the things Windows does way better than Mac OS is handling multiple audio devices.
9:34 am — Wednesday, 15 February 2017
ohm:
@To Be Fair:

That is, if you have the drivers. I review and photograph audio products for a living (make of that what you will) and one thing that the Mac nails is driverless interfacing with those devices.

Every DAC/ADC, etc., that I own comes with one thing commonly shared: a driver CD or USB disk. And it is only for Windows.
1:46 pm — Wednesday, 15 February 2017
@ohm:

Actually most of those drivers are superfluous these days, and not needed to use the device with Windows either.
9:46 pm — Wednesday, 15 February 2017
In Windows right click on the volume icon.

Select "Open Volume Mixer"

Windows is amazingly great and magical.

Paying $10 every time you turn around for such basic functionality is bullshit.

Now pay for my dongles bitch! Dongles everywhere!

Apple makes great shit, but be ready to be nickel and dimed to death for basic features that should be built in.
9:04 pm — Thursday, 16 February 2017
ohm:
@To Be Fair:

Every single one of the audio devices I use requires drivers with Windows to playback or record high-definition content.

Where plug and play is concerned, at least in the audiophile world, OSX still is much easier.

I understand that it has a less flexible interaction system with some of that hardware, but EVERY device I own or use, requires drivers with Windows. Every time a hardware developer sends a device to be tested or photographed, they ask if I accessed the correct drivers for Windows.

When I say I use OSX, they sometimes ask if I have access to Windows just to ensure that _my_ computer works properly with the drivers they ship.

Now, my iMac 2012 measurably outputs shit signal through some USB audio devices, and even fails to connect to others. But the vast majority of devices plug and play through OSX.

Again, not a single DAC or ADC works without drivers for high-resolution, and some even for 16-bit audio files.
3:05 am — Friday, 17 February 2017