/linked/2017/02/16/apple-imagine

Comments

Not Anonymous:
Something involving Tim Cook and Eddy Cue failed? Shocking.
4:42 pm — Thursday, 16 February 2017
I am sure they fizzled out because Apple doesn't know jack or fucking shit about making TV or movies. It's no mystery why Netflix originals and HBO are successful - you hire great people, pay them a fuckload of money, and then stay away. The exact opposite of Tim Cuck micro-managing every single detail.
Why would any self-respecting creative person fall for that trap?
5:20 pm — Thursday, 16 February 2017
John Rodham Gruber:
>I am sure they fizzled out because Apple doesn't know jack or fucking shit about making TV or movies

This is truly evidenced by that shitastic Planet of the Apps production. Jessica Alba? Gwyneth Paltrow? will.i.am (what kind of moronic name is that?)? Really? *This* is the best they could come up with?

What in Christ's bloodied name do any of those clowns know about software development?
5:42 pm — Thursday, 16 February 2017
Workaround for paywall:

It's obvious that Eddy Cue sucks at negotiation. Apple is in the weak position and can't strong-arm their way in this time. Cook doesn't know what they should do and anon above is right - they should give smart people a lot of money and let them create good stuff. I'm afraid their closed ecosystems and secretive culture are hurting them big time in this area.
5:59 pm — Thursday, 16 February 2017
>Would have worked out just great if only Apple had hired some investment bankers, I’m sure.

That's a fucking weird non-sequitur.
3:21 am — Friday, 17 February 2017
knowitall:
@John Rodham Gruber

"This is truly evidenced by that shitastic Planet of the Apps production. Jessica Alba? Gwyneth Paltrow? will.i.am (what kind of moronic name is that?)? Really? This is the best they could come up with?"

It's still an outside production company doing it, not Apple. Same as what Netflix and HBO do. They just do it in volume. Netflix has its fair share of duds (Chelsea Handlers new show) etc..

and thats with data telling them exactly what their millions of customers respond to.

To be fair I think Apple and Iovine are looking to turn Apple Music into the new MTV with their video programming. I dont think they are trying to clone netflix or hbo.

So they're looking at programming that supports the Apple Music culture. Rather like how pimp my ride or the hills did for MTV.

I dont think its in Apples interest to compete with netflix or amazon on original programming.

The most I see is Apple music expand to streaming films that exist on the Apple store already. That could make a lot of film companies a great deal of money.

10:18 am — Friday, 17 February 2017
Shake it around:
Actually, if they did hire an investment banker it would have gone through because the IB would have pushed for a deal even if it wasn't in Apple's best interest.

That's what they do.
3:18 pm — Friday, 17 February 2017
Anonymous®:
When Hollywood producers (producers!) won't take money from someone with a near unlimited pile of it, there are some really onerous conditions to accepting it.
5:08 pm — Friday, 17 February 2017
The new "TV" app is such a piece of shit.
6:45 pm — Friday, 17 February 2017
Q*Bert:
> The new "TV" app is such a piece of shit.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it. Fortunately you can turn it off on the ATV so the "tv" button doesn't trigger it, but it's annoying they made it do that by default.

The only thing I like about it it is shows you the last thing you were watching and lets you jump back in, but the app was flakey/buggy/laggy for me and that didn't work reliably. Plus, not having Netflix or HBO connected makes it a lot less useful (not to mention Amazon which isn't even on the ATV).

Would love a single thing to click on the home screen that triggers "play the last thing I was watching no matter what app it's in" but we're not there yet.
6:06 am — Saturday, 18 February 2017
@Q*Bert

"not to mention Amazon which isn't even on the ATV"

Agreed. Not sure who's being the bitch there negotiation-wise but that's kind of a dealbreaker to spend $150 for an ATV when any suck-stick can do more of what I want for $50 or less.

"Would love a single thing to click on the home screen that triggers "play the last thing I was watching no matter what app it's in""

Such an obvious feature completely overlooked.

Netflix does it. YouTube resumes where you left off on any given video. I guess Apple can't figure it out or hasn't "invented" it yet.
5:13 pm — Saturday, 18 February 2017