/linked/2017/02/23/wirecutter-airpods

Comments

This is the epitome of Apple apologia right here.

So the primary reason that the iPhone lost its headphone jack is because wireless headphones are ready for mass market? Ok.

"Almost everyone seems to agree it's better". So "almost everyone" = Grub's Apple echo chamber. Audio quality is subjective but for now I will trust an independent headphone expert over an Apple blogger. There needs to be some kind of double blind test to make any conclusion.
12:45 am — Friday, 24 February 2017
I love it.

> And the battery life can easily get you through a full work day with a few trips to the charging case.

The battery can easily last a full day if you recharge it a few times.

This observation is right in the middle of Gruber's piece accusing someone else of tortured logic.
1:33 am — Friday, 24 February 2017
elbowroom:
@anonymous

It's not really a tortured logic with the AirPods. Whenever they aren't in my ears they go straight into the case and it gets charged automatically while the case is back in my pocket. Also they charge fast too.
2:11 am — Friday, 24 February 2017
My Optional Name:
>The battery can easily last a full day if you recharge it a few times.

That was my first thought too. Yay?
4:57 am — Friday, 24 February 2017
"Whenever they aren't in my ears they go straight into the case and it gets charged..."

And it really is like a small dental floss container.

The entire package is compelling and very slick. But I will wait for the next generation or after. They sound kind of OK but not great. Wireless or not I can't justify $160 for lack of quality in the sound.
6:43 am — Friday, 24 February 2017
>Whenever they aren't in my ears they go straight into the case and it gets charged automatically while the case is back in my pocket.

So you have to carry a charging case around with you. A pretty clunky solution that intrudes on the supposed freedom of being wireless.
7:24 am — Friday, 24 February 2017
Ah Grubs, never change.
3:12 pm — Friday, 24 February 2017
Shake it around:
Fake news
3:16 pm — Friday, 24 February 2017
catfood:
*And the battery life can easily get you through a full work day with a few trips to the charging case.*

that one did make me cringe.
6:59 pm — Friday, 24 February 2017
elbowroom:
@To Be Fair

Not at all. Because the case takes less space than than any wireless headphones.
12:41 am — Saturday, 25 February 2017
Despite some issues which I believe are related to my phone, I love my AirPods.

Still think it was dumb to drop the head phone port however.
5:04 pm — Saturday, 25 February 2017