/linked/2017/03/02/oscar-typography

Comments

Not Anonymous:
The real story: Moonlight sucked. As did the other nominees. Very disappointing year. No nominee really deserved commendation.
3:08 am — Friday, 3 March 2017
Story about gay niggers? I'd only watch it if they were from outer space.
4:06 am — Friday, 3 March 2017
^^^

I agree. It's time for a 'Brother From Another Planet' remake.
5:02 am — Friday, 3 March 2017
Apple's losing luster in schools:

[https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/technology/apple-products-schools-education.html](https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/technology/apple-products-schools-education.html)

You think Gruber will cover this?
5:27 am — Friday, 3 March 2017
webOS & BB10 forever:
No s**t, Sherlock! It should have clearly stated at the top that Best Picture is Moonlight, so that even a drunkard Beatty or Dunaway (whom I blame more for this since she actually said "La La Land") could've read it!
6:59 am — Friday, 3 March 2017
ohm:
I'm actually _with_ Gruber on this. Poor design.
12:54 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
> Apple's losing luster in schools:

That's because it took them forever to properly allow the iPad to be managed and because they dropped the 13" white MacBook which was at $899 at one point.
2:21 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
ano:
webOS & BB10 forever, the PriceWaterHouseCooper guy handed them the wrong envelope
2:53 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Countess Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed:
DFWC, Stormfront-annex never disappoints.
3:41 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Shake it around:
Uh, no.

If they fucking read the envelope before handing it to the presenter this wouldn't have happened.

It's not bad type, it's human error.

When it works for 40 years and fails once it's because moron handed someone the wrong envelope.

You don't have to redesign a system to exclude morons, just don't get a moron.

5:57 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Q*Bert:
> It's time for a 'Brother From Another Planet' remake.

I loved that movie back in the day! I remember it was the first midnight movie I ever saw.
6:22 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Q*Bert:
> I'm actually with Gruber on this. Poor design.

This was actually a pretty good article and the author did make a great case for the importance of typography. He nailed every point.

Ultimately who really cares, it's an award show and no one died. But certainly the incident could have easily been avoided.
6:26 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
GrubeTube:
Wasn't poor typographic design also what contributed to the fiasco called Vesper?
6:27 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Shake it around:
If the idiot holding the envelope doesn't read it the typography is moot.
6:32 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Shake it around:
Maybe Warren Beatty should have said "excuse me, I think I have the wrong card."

Oh that's right, actors don't have brains; they just read the lines they're given.
6:33 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
He did do that. He would have done that if his co-star hadn't blurted out the movie.
6:51 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
I blame this more on the cards than the presenters OR the accountant. Truly.
6:51 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Shake it around:
@Mac Pro

He was up there for a while looking at the card trying to figure out why it was wrong. If I remember correctly he even looked inside the empty envelope trying to find another card.

"Excuse me, I believe we have the wrong card."

It's not hard to say that.
7:06 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
ano:
I mean, in retrospect sure, but who would have thought they'd give you the wrong card and you'd be stuck in that position on television with a billion people watching you
7:30 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
>Apple's losing luster in schools:

>https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/technology/apple-products-schools-education.html

>You think Gruber will cover this?

Not until Apple entirely pulls out of the education market. At which point he will say he saw this coming all along, and it was so obvious, and a great strategic decision.
7:31 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Shake it around:
@ano There is that. But the card had a name on it (Emma Stone).
7:47 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
Shake it around:
Oh, and the billion viewer number has been bullshit for years. You know it's bad when the Hollywood reporter debunks you.

9:18 pm — Friday, 3 March 2017
> I forgot to mention that the design of the envelopes was even worse than that of the cards — small gold type on a deep red background, very hard to read.

Oh man, that does sound terrible! Almost as bad as, say, white on gray!
1:45 pm — Saturday, 4 March 2017
DanglingSackball:
Good link. Nice to have an occasional Apple / tech / design topic instead of progressive virtue signaling!
11:34 am — Monday, 6 March 2017