/linked/2017/03/29/android-auto-carplay

Comments

Sebby:
Dearie, dearie me. Siri really *is* shit!
10:53 pm — Wednesday, 29 March 2017
Vanilla Dry Ice:
Siri, as far as I know, is still in Beta. Apple released it as Beta, and it still is in Beta.

Siri sucks, really.

I might throw away my iPhone 7+.
11:09 pm — Wednesday, 29 March 2017
Lysander:
This "review" is bullshit. Siri got it the first time he said it correctly. The android guy was just the typical android douche.

Yeah no.
11:57 pm — Wednesday, 29 March 2017
EB:
As someone who HAS carplay, I gotta tell you this is spot on....
CarPlay is GREAT, when it understands what you are saying. Same microphone, same location, google voice never fails (with the same iPhone). The fault lies with Siri, and Siri alone. Apple has been poor at this for years and getting further and further behind...

OTOH, I love all the OTHER features of CarPlay. Love the Apple Music integration, the app integration, etc. If they could only fix the SHODDY voice recognition...
12:17 am — Thursday, 30 March 2017
webOS & BB10 forever:
Whatevs. The problem with fully automated cars is that it takes away the manual element. Like an automatic transmission that has a way to shift gears, a fully automated car should allow for the driver to take control whenever he or she wants. After all, Americans are all about freedom. That's why we love our cars and driving them, as opposed to libs' utopian view of public transpo.
3:49 am — Thursday, 30 March 2017
Gruber the booger:
@webOS & BB10 forever

What on earth are you talking about?

You sound like a drunken idiot rambling incoherent thoughts that have nothing to do with anything.

>After all, Americans are all about freedom

Yeah, it's good to live in America. It's a great country here.

That being said if I had to move to another country I would choose Canada more than likely.
6:11 am — Thursday, 30 March 2017
Q*Bert:
That's pretty fucking embarrassing for Apple. I do use Car Play and while it's not usually as bad as in that video, it's flakey enough that it's frustrating and you can't really rely on it without over-enunciating and other ridiculous things.

Also, I think Google's speech is better too, it sounds more natural whereas Siri's voice hasn't evolved much since its first incarnation. That was pretty good like 5 years ago or whatever it was but today it sounds quite robotic.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on over at Apple but the whole Siri team (and related technologies) has really dropped the ball big time. Is Eddie Cue in charge of that too?
8:33 am — Thursday, 30 March 2017
Dumb Grub:
No word on the Samsung 8, Grubs? Dropping this far smaller bomb to distract from the bigger one that's just been dumped on Apple's ever-diminishing reputation for 'cutting-edge design'?
9:56 am — Thursday, 30 March 2017
Wow Grubs taking Apple to task.

This is a five star post from Grubs.
4:17 pm — Thursday, 30 March 2017
fuckin' name:
> Siri's voice hasn't evolved much since its first incarnation

4:49 pm — Thursday, 30 March 2017
>Except those guys are Canadians in Canada, asking for directions to a location in Toronto.

And? How fucking retarded does a nav system have to be not to query its own GPS coordinates before giving directions?

Siri's fucking garbage.
9:00 pm — Thursday, 30 March 2017
Q*Bert:
> You're kidding, right? They've changed the default voice to a way more natural-sounding one years ago.

I guess it depends on your definition of "way more". To me, it's slightly better, not a lot better. And in any case is falling farther behind the likes of Google, Alexa, Cortana, etc.
9:30 pm — Thursday, 30 March 2017
in summary:
@Gruber the booger

isn't Canada in North America? Aren't Canadians North Americans?
1:51 am — Friday, 31 March 2017
Gruber the booger:
@in summary

Can't tell if you are joking or just plain stupid.

Has there ever been a time in your life where someone used the word "American" and you thought "Canadian"?

The answer is no unless you are a complete moron. When someone uses "American" they mean the from the USA.
9:45 am — Friday, 31 March 2017
Heinz Gruber:
>My wife's Samsung S7 with the Google Now kicks ass--gets everything right first time, every time.

That's not what she said in bed last night. She said she doesn't use Google Now. The only aspect of the phone she cares about is the video recording feature she uses to record herself blowing me.
8:12 am — Saturday, 1 April 2017