/linked/2017/04/05/2016-panic-report

Comments

Pro Market:
People don't like paying for things they feel are not worth that much. The 99 cent market is shutting down. The free+"IAP, but not needed" market is the dominant. Apps don't make the money they need and shutdown. People think all apps are "make a quick buck" operation, so they don't feel confident in a purchase over 99 cents. People complained about SUPER MARIO for $10?!?!? It's a crazy world. Can't blame them though. When even people like Marco and Grubez shutter or sell off their apps, what do you expect?
9:23 pm — Wednesday, 5 April 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
CMD-F "$" - Not Found
9:57 pm — Wednesday, 5 April 2017
Where are these Mac-quality pro apps for iOS?
10:09 pm — Wednesday, 5 April 2017
ano:
There are some music and graphics applications that seem to do OK.

Korg has a whole line of synth stuff, etc.

And other niche categories like hourly billing and invoicing apps for freelancers.

But they all seem like rarities.
10:41 pm — Wednesday, 5 April 2017
WTF is a "Mac Quality" app? There are loads of shitty apps for Mac.
8:33 am — Thursday, 6 April 2017
knowitall:
I don't know if it's just the price.

I think its that sadly, the ipad isn't a place where you "finish" things.

Even with the music apps, you cant actually finish tracks on it. You cant solve all your problems on that device. There are so many weird work arounds that need to be done that nothing you buy feels like the core tool for your workflow.

It's fine on the iphone because no one expects to finish things on that. Its an auxilary device. But with the ipad and the bigger pro there's this weird feeling with every app that you are not quite getting the very best out of what you want to do.

Whether thats photoshop tools or programming tools like coda etc.. It all feels like a polished hack.

Also, tools on the desktop are not silo's. The ability to connect to apps together seamlessly is a struggle in iOS. Hopefully Apple buying workflow will make those tasks easier but at present its just clunky.

Apart from drawing I cant think of any tool that is actually better to use on an ipad than on a desktop in terms of actually finishing work. Thats the issue.
9:48 am — Thursday, 6 April 2017
Flying Fuck:
Other than their Twitter app, Panic doesn't really make apps for the everyday Joe Consumer. It's no surprise they didn't do well with iOS.

There are plenty of companies making plenty of money with iOS apps that aren't games with IAP. You just have to look harder.

That being said, I'm happy to see a company like Panic that puts out quality apps get "re-focused" on the Mac!
1:47 pm — Thursday, 6 April 2017
Vanilla Dry Ice:
"It sucks there's a dearth of pro iOS apps. However, you should definitely support the sponsor in my last post, who makes pro-level macOS apps. Give them your money, then come up here and read this post about how you're not giving money elsewhere, so I can call you a cheap motherfucker using whiskey references."
4:02 pm — Thursday, 6 April 2017
A Trained Chimp:
Swing and a miss, VDI
4:59 pm — Thursday, 6 April 2017
@Vanilla Dry Ice:

>However, you should definitely support the sponsor in my last post,

Buh?
7:29 pm — Thursday, 6 April 2017
ohm:
I've purchased a few expensive apps on iOS and a bunch of games. Stupid me. Stupid because about half of those I purchased are no longer in the App Store, and I didn't keep backups.

In other words, I lost money. I'm one of those fools that loves old games and plays games time and time and time again, for years.

Even bad ones: Civilisation Revolution was a favourite time waster, but my favourite was the Heroes of Might and Magic Clone, which, too, is now gone from the store.

The same happens to expensive reference apps and pro apps. Paying for this shit, which may or may not be supported or hosted in a year, is a problem.
12:42 am — Friday, 7 April 2017
DDA:
@ohm: This is one reason I make encrypted backup using iTunes and restore new iPhones from them; I've got apps on my phone with data going back _years_ and those apps aren't even in the store anymore. But they are saved in my backups!
7:19 pm — Friday, 7 April 2017