/linked/2017/05/02/aapl-quarterly-results

Comments

Do you mean the new MacBook Pros are up 4%? That's not really "selling well."
4:42 am — Wednesday, 3 May 2017
Sebby:
> My read: the new MacBook Pros are selling well, as are Apple Watch and AirPods (and maybe the wireless Beats?). No records were broken, but the results are all good other than iPad.

Overpriced AirPods and overpriced Macs. And this is good news, is it?

People are buying. The AirPods I can understand (I have my pair now, FWIW) but I don't know what the MBPs are good for. Form factor?

iPad is a basket case. Apple should liberate "macOS" and bring back all that is old again, and concentrate their efforts on making the iPad an attractive, flexible, developer-friendly platform. They won't, and people already have iPads and they work for the simple things people do with them, and that's why iPads are failing.
7:32 am — Wednesday, 3 May 2017
iPads last for years, but to the tech industry this is a problem.
3:08 pm — Wednesday, 3 May 2017
> Do you mean the new MacBook Pros are up 4%? That's not really "selling well."

considering that the whole industry grew 0.6%, i'd say it's pretty good.
4:08 pm — Wednesday, 3 May 2017
Vanilla Dry Ice:

People aren't buying Apple because they make great products. They're buying it because they're being forced by Apple employees using violent tactics. Also, the Apple marketing machine creates ads that contain subliminal messaging, which is illegal. And their billboards use fonts and colors that are psychologically proven to force customers into the nearest Apple Store for a purchase.

I am being literal. I mean, how else could you explain the rise in Mac sales? There is no other way. I could not--COULD NOT--be the fact that they make great products that people want. No way.
4:43 pm — Wednesday, 3 May 2017
Sebby:
> Once again, Apple employees are going into our homes and forcing us, at gunpoint, to the nearest Apple Store to purchase their overpriced products.

Thanks for clearing that up. I always imagined there was something suspicious going on there. Now I know.
7:06 am — Thursday, 4 May 2017
such a great argument - 'apple is all advertising!'

sure, if that's the case, why doesn't anyone else step up their ad game? after all, advertising is easier than engineering, right? anyone should be able to do it. because it's clearly not that apple makes good products, it can't be that. it's all because it's a cult.
2:51 pm — Thursday, 4 May 2017