/linked/2017/05/24/marc-newson-hourglass

Comments

LOL this is literally a new low - just post a link and "wait breathlessly for me to comment later." What on earth could he add? "I literally couldn't not spare the usual 5 minutes I put into writing a comment because I was too busy jacking off to an hourglass?" I mean what else does JG do all day if not write 50 word COMMENTS on something? Oh yeah, I already answered my question, J/O is what he is doing.
4:22 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
$12k for a fucking hourglass that's "approximately" 10 minutes? fuck that shit. i'm all for creative hobbies and making shit, but that doesn't mean it's worth $12k. it's something you do in your free time.
4:32 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Trumplethinskin:
How can they call this an "hourglass" when it only does 10 minutes? False advertising, or alternative facts?

*Hah! See what I did there?
5:16 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
daretofireballme:
I just bought 5 of them and I will keep track of their time keeping fluctuations with relation to globaL warming.
5:16 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
piece of kit:
Agreed: this is bullshit.

> Then, the nanoballs are poured in, having been pre-measured to approximately 10-minute batches.

They couldn't take the time to make sure that the hourglass was at least minimally functional? Make sure it lasts 10 minutes!

Bah.
5:25 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Don't be hard on Grubs, he needs to watch Bond all day today.
7:34 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
jimothy:
>I'm also curious to know if this will become less accurate over time*, assuming the anti-corrosive coating wears off the more you use it.

You don't actually think you're supposed to use this thing, do you?
8:56 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Gruber the Booger:
Where's the Apple Hourglass Edition?
9:30 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Anonymynous:
Was this supposed to be a note to himself?

What's the betting he doesn't get round to it before the end of the day anyway?
9:44 pm — Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Half hour to go!
3:28 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
Because it's not genuinely beautiful.
4:09 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
So from the twitter thread this already exists, looks the same and costs $80 https://esington.com/products/esington-glass-medium

This is a pure ripoff.
4:17 am — Thursday, 25 May 2017
My Optional Name:
>Where's the Apple Hourglass Edition?

I'd hate to see the price on that one.

Gotta say, I'm with Gruber on this one. Yes, it's obscenely expensive to grunts like us, but if you have an obscene amount of spare cash sitting around and blow your nose with $100 bills, then sure, why the fuck not pick this up? It really is a nice piece of art and should be appreciated for that on its own merits.
12:23 pm — Thursday, 25 May 2017
>How can they call this an "hourglass" when it only does 10 minutes?

Maybe you need to look up the definition of "hourglass"?
4:14 pm — Thursday, 25 May 2017
Trumplethinskin:
>Maybe you need to look up the definition of "hourglass"?

Definition of hourglass
: an instrument for measuring time consisting of a glass vessel having two compartments from the upper of which a quantity of usually sand runs in an hour into the lower one

5:09 pm — Thursday, 25 May 2017
"The world is full of cheaply-made mass-produced crap. Why not celebrate the creation of something genuinely beautiful?"

Why not rather thinking out of the consumerist box and develop some sense of purpose in life, grubs.
8:03 pm — Thursday, 25 May 2017
really:
ten minutes.

too short for an hour, too long for an egg-timer.
2:00 am — Friday, 26 May 2017