/linked/2017/06/01/hamilton-siri-speaker

Comments

I'm getting fucking sick and tired of these Apple bloggers making up bullshit narratives to suit their bullshit agendas.
2:49 am — Friday, 2 June 2017
really:
Apple idea sounds like great idea, says Gruber!

Film at 11!
5:03 am — Friday, 2 June 2017
> Like Sonos but with really good AirPlay — like next-generation “AirPlay 2” AirPlay.

AirPlay 2? Wtf? I think Gruber is conflating unrelated things here?
12:42 pm — Friday, 2 June 2017
Who wants seven tweeters? If you aren't able to produce any bass or even mid-range, it's still going to sound shitty.
12:58 pm — Friday, 2 June 2017
knowitall:
i think it kind of makes sense. Not because it specifically goes after sonos, but because apple tend to wipe out companies like that in doing something like this.

generally apple are following the leaders here so they have to do everything the leaders are doing and more in a smoother, simpler way.

And, in an instant, sonos (at least play 1's) are dead.

all your existing apps will have the ability to add siri support, just like you can add apple watch support to an app etc.. I suppose it will be the equivalent of an alexa skill.

I dont think it will be ground breaking, but very few apple products are. They just make products now that are more convenient for those already in the eco system.

I cant use alexa to it full extent because I'm not really in the amazon eco system besides buying a few bits every now and then. But apple has my calendar, notes, podcast, passwords etc... So alot of people would buy a few apple speakers just to have it all fit together.

its a no brainer for them.

but sonos will be collateral damage unless they get their alexa support out there fast.
1:39 pm — Friday, 2 June 2017
jimothy:
>so they are going to have a multiroom speaker and it will be connected to airplay because no one else does that.

Libratone Zipp supports multi-room and AIrPlay.

That said, I wish that this rumor would play out. I've got two Amazon Echo Dots in my house, and what I thought would be merely a gimmick—using voice to control my "smart" light switches and dimmers—turns out to be very helpful. "Alexa, turn on kitchen lights" is great when you're cooking and don't have a free hand.

I'm also considering picking up a couple of Zipps for wireless audio. Combine these features into one device, and tie them into the Apple universe, and yep, Apple's getting another chunk of my change.

That said, I wouldn't be on it happening.
1:51 pm — Friday, 2 June 2017
Your Callow Vagina:
"Yeah, sure. Apple is going after Sonos, a player so small, it's barely significant."

Apple has never gone after another company. They go after their product. They went after mp3 player (coincidentally being produced by small companies) back in the early 2000s with the iPod. More recently, they went after the smartwatch (another product being pushed mainly by small companies) and upped everyone's game.

It's happened. When they see a fledgling product idea that is being done half-assed or that screams for improvement, they tend to step in, make it a thing of beauty and release it.

I'm betting this report is accurate. It's a classic Apple move.
5:54 pm — Friday, 2 June 2017
toolshed:
Sonos has all the bits to do Airplay, so an software update ought to do it, if they're worried about losing customers. And different from the iPod/MP3 plater situation, Sonos is already really nice, bloody well thought out kit. It's the opposite of junk. And Apple sell in their stores, taking a nice piece of the action.
4:36 am — Saturday, 3 June 2017
jimothy:
>AirPlay 2? Wtf? I think Gruber is conflating unrelated things here?

Turns out Gruber was exactly right: AirPlay 2 supports multi-room audio. Was this by coincidence or "a little birdie"?
6:22 pm — Monday, 5 June 2017
@jimothy:
I’m pretty interested in how AirPlay2 works behind the scenes. I’ve been doing multiroom audio with Raspberry Pis running [shairport-sync](https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync) for a few months and it kicks ass.
5:28 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017