/linked/2017/06/05/imac-pro-mac-pro

Comments

ohm:
Would be nice if they regularly updated the Mini because not everyone that relies on computer with a separate monitor needs the highest throughput.

iMac has been a disaster for me in terms of reliability, and because I make my work from photography, I need a nice monitor.

The iMac's isn't great, and my iMac has been back and forth to Apple four times.

New Mac Mini with modern parts please. Or a low-spec Mac Pro.
11:15 pm — Monday, 5 June 2017
piece of kit:
Can you share why the iMac's monitor isn't great for you?
12:47 am — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Wasn't there some kind of news today or something?
1:41 am — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
jimothy:
Apple's response for people upset that the $3,000 Mac Pro basically received no updates for three years: A $5,000 iMac.
1:51 am — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
ohm:
@piece of kit:

The monitor isn't colour accurate next to a high end Eizo. Worse, it's not guaranteed for edge to edge luminosity. Worse still, when a single component goes on the iMac (for times for me), the entire computer is gone.

AIO are problematic because costs when something goes wrong skyrocket just from time lost.
3:06 am — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Hollywoodland:
@ohm

Not to mention P3 color space doesn't do much to help people working in Adobe RGB, Apple's panels aren't true 10-bit, backlight methods aren't up to current-gen tech and their contrast ratios (partially due to IPS) are still in the toilet. We're also getting to the point where people are leveraging 120hz+ on their desktops, and all of Apple's displays are fixed at 60. Given today's news on the iPad Pro, Apple should know better.
6:00 am — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Trumplethinskin:
>Wasn't there some kind of news today or something?

Is this a trick question?
2:02 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
I had no idea there was so much lacking in the iMac display. What kind of monitor would you prefer to use?
3:06 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
catfood:
imacs are a bitch to repair. having to pull the front glass to replace a hard drive is no bueno.
3:26 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Anonymous®:
So run an outboard monitor? iMacs have supported this for quite a while…not sure why Apple has to provide a $2.5K monitor for *everyone*.
8:09 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Mac minis are great small machines for the office, especially when one could upgrade the RAM in them, but damn the Intel CPUs in those things cost and arm and leg. When the CPU costs half of the machine you know that something's not right.

Sometimes I wish that Apple would go AMD for some of their models, because frankly Intel had become a bitch-ass monopoly a-la Microsoft in the nineties.
8:12 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
> So run an outboard monitor?

If you use an outboard monitor as your main display, the iMac makes not sense for you. Isn't that like obvious?
8:13 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Anonymous®:
This guy is doing calibrated colour - an outboard monitor makes *a lot* more sense.
8:16 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Sure, an outboard monitor makes sense, but an iMac does not.
8:22 pm — Tuesday, 6 June 2017
Was *anyone* confused that the iMac Pro was no the Mac Pro? Or did Gruber just need an opportunity to remind everyone that he was invited to a fancy, exclusive media event?
1:38 am — Wednesday, 7 June 2017
ohm:
@hollywoodland:

Yes, all of that. 10-bit is a huge one for me, but backlight quality is equally as important for basic colour matching for print.

I can edit on any old monitor, and in fact am using a lowly Wacom MobileStudio Pro for that now, but that initial colour matching, profiling, and output for print and web publishing needs to be accurate and I have to see deep into the blacks.
3:39 am — Wednesday, 7 June 2017
really:
I thought I'd boycott intel and buy an AMD-based Windows machine.

It's soooo slooooooowww.