/linked/2017/06/19/surface-laptop-ifixit

Comments

A Trained Chimp:
That's why it is a "repairability score" and not a "product goodness score." What is it about iFixit that is so hard for Gruber to grasp? Their perspective is summed up in the very name of the website. It's a site where they talk about fixing computer equipment. Everything is viewed through that lens.

(Plus the "not a laptop" bit is clearly in keeping with the site's light-hearted writing style. They don't like stuff you can't fix yourself, and they are whimsically hyperbolic about that.)
9:31 pm — Monday, 19 June 2017
frookles:
@A Trained Chimp:

oh, you and your alternative facts!
10:04 pm — Monday, 19 June 2017
frookles:
@A Trained Chimp:

oh, you and your alternative facts!
10:04 pm — Monday, 19 June 2017
> All the usual regulatory markings are hiding out on the lower case alongside the model number: 1769.

they seem to have forgotten the FCC logo, unless it's somewhere else. that logo is required.
11:38 pm — Monday, 19 June 2017
Vanilla Dry Ice:

It's like a Yelp review on a local TV repairman: completely useless.
11:49 pm — Monday, 19 June 2017
Groober the Booger:
>I consider AirPods to be Apple’s best new product in years.

I don't.

Airpods fit and sound like $10 ear buds. Maybe $20.

For $170 the one-size-fits-some is a bad product decision.

Even when I press them into my ears and hold them for an ideal fit the sound is stil sub par, especially for $170.
11:55 pm — Monday, 19 June 2017
liss is poor:
lol at the airpod complainer dude. The things are awesome.
12:00 am — Tuesday, 20 June 2017
> I consider AirPods to be Apple’s best new product in years.

Yeah, we know you do. Which is Exhibit A in how shitty Apple's new products have been getting.
3:26 am — Tuesday, 20 June 2017
toolshed:
@Groober the Booger.

Sit and twist.
5:01 am — Tuesday, 20 June 2017
>What kind of authority does iFixit it have anyway? Bunch of bored fuckwads who like to tear shit apart to what end? Nobody confers with you to get an "iFixit Approved" badge on their disposable product.
>It's like a Yelp review on a local TV repairman: completely useless.

No, it's not like a Yelp review. It lets someone know how easy it is to repair a machine, what tools are needed, and walkthroughs for every component. It's also done for free so that they can sell tools and parts. Why you hate them for creating step-by-step directions is beyond me, but they're the first place I go to for fixing CE.
8:53 am — Tuesday, 20 June 2017
Gruber the Booger:
@liss is poor

Fair enough if you like them and think they sound good.

They may be "awesome" for you.

But to me they sound like garbage.

@toolshed

Not to tip my hand on age but I have over 30 years of testing and using all manner of headphones, ear buds, wireless, wired,
you name it. From $10 to if you have to ask...

I'm certain that the Airpods are both a sub-par fit and have sub-par sound quality.

I do not need directions on how to put a fucking ear bud in my ear.

Airpods have a great package. The dental floss charging case is great.

The sound and fit are horrible. Especially for $170.
10:49 pm — Tuesday, 20 June 2017