/linked/2017/09/28/patel-apple-tv

Comments

>>I sure wish they would

6:22 pm — Thursday, 28 September 2017
>OK, what the fuck. Hasn't Grubs taken a shit on Munster every time he brings up Apple making a TV set?

Wanting something to happen and constantly stating it's about to happen are different things.
6:46 pm — Thursday, 28 September 2017
I don't want this. There are far too many TV sizes and features for this to be a reasonable product, based on Apple's history.

Personally I think the TV should be a dumb monitor, not to mention that I'll likely want to upgrade my connected boxes much sooner than I would a TV, especially my Apple TV.
6:48 pm — Thursday, 28 September 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
Change the TV refresh rate. Not that big of a deal.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone
9:10 pm — Thursday, 28 September 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
Seriously, just have a toggle in settings to allow the native refresh rate to be changed. Not a big deal. Would prevent the turbo nerds from writing bad reviews. Off by default.
9:11 pm — Thursday, 28 September 2017
Cinema:
Would the market be any smaller for a product like this than for, say, the Apple Cinema Display? Apple could build dumb 4K TVs at 55", 65" and 75". (Don't even build-in the Apple TV, if you don't want to; maybe just bundle it with purchase, and then people would only upgrade the AppleTV box every six years, and not the whole TV.)

There are a LOT of people who would buy that just because it has an Apple logo on it. Enough people to sustain the business and earn a profit, anyway, I bet. I know Apple is super proud of the things it says "no" to, so they're probably really pleased with themselves for doing so.

Maybe they could repurpose the Airport WiFi division (a discontinuation I'm still smarting from. An Apple WiFi mesh network set-up could have been epic.)
9:26 pm — Thursday, 28 September 2017
>you want to run the TV display at a refresh rate of 24Hz when you watch 24fps movies

6:16 am — Friday, 29 September 2017
> Change the TV refresh rate. Not that big of a deal

Seriously. NOT THAT FUCKING HARD.
2:58 pm — Friday, 29 September 2017
> No you don't. Why the fuck would you want that? You want the refresh to run at 120 or 240Hz if you're playing 24fps media.

Settle down. The reason you want 120 or 240 is because they are multiples of 24. So you can leave each frame on the screen for the same amount of time. So it will look no different than if you were at 24hz.

You don't want to be running at 60hz. Or 50, or whatever.
9:30 pm — Friday, 29 September 2017