/linked/2017/10/10/amazing-stories

Comments

Yes, we know reboots are always great.
7:49 pm — Tuesday, 10 October 2017
Alan Smithee:
Reboots and sequels are what executives with a dearth of ideas come up with. This is a safe and boring choice made with marketing in mind.
8:12 pm — Tuesday, 10 October 2017
John Jobs:
>This is diving in head first.

Apple has a cash hoard of over $250 billion dollars. This isn't *diving* into anything, it's throwing some chump change out the window and seeing what happens.
8:34 pm — Tuesday, 10 October 2017
John Gruber:
UPDATE: Sorry, that story contained a typo. The new show is actually called "AppMazing Stories", and it's a reality show where Gwyneth Paltrow and Will.I.Am talk about the apps they each have on their respective iPhone home screens.
9:16 pm — Tuesday, 10 October 2017
Glibs:
"I loved it when I was a kid, so I want to force that swill onto future generations. Ignore the fact that the show only ran for two seasons."
10:20 pm — Tuesday, 10 October 2017
John Gruber:
@Glibs: I don't know if pointing out that it ran for "only" two seasons is supposed to be a dig at its quality, but there are a lot of great shows that don't even last that long. Amazing Stories was an anthology series like Twilight Zone, and lends itself perfectly to a reboot. Also, it WAS awesome. And with a million streaming options, who is "forcing that swill onto future generations"? They can keep watching Pewdie Pie for all I care.
1:55 am — Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Glibs:
Saying it ran for two seasons is a dig at its quality. It never was able to find an audience. There are pr0n series that have lasted for longer than that show.

That's pretty bad. I mean, Mandingo has substantially more than two seasons worth of material and all he has is a big dick.

"Just imagine the residuals off of that."

It's like gorgonzola chewing gum: it has a cult-like following among hipsters, but the general public stays away from it like it was Weinstein.

3:14 am — Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Anonymous®:
Apple, please stop with the content. You're my Dad, trying to be "hep".
4:46 am — Wednesday, 11 October 2017
John Gruber:
@Glibs: It won five Emmys. "Not able to find an audience" is far from a dig, since it was pulling numbers in the 80s that top-rated network shows today would kill for. Even if it WAS low quality, there's nothing wrong with the format or premise of the show, so why use the quality of its original run as a reason for not rebooting it? Should only great things be rebooted? (I think premises that didn't live up to their execution ought to be rebooted.)

As the sole proprietor of this website, I declare my word final, and have logged your post for future claim chowder.
6:56 am — Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Glibs:
Let's reboot shit from the past because we're so intellectually bankrupt that we can't think of anything new.

Oh, and I liked it, so it's even better.

I mean fuck, why not reboot the Kenny Everett Video Show? When I think of great shows from the past that's what I think of.
8:02 am — Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Harry Groper:
One must always ask oneself, WWHWD (What Would Harvey Weinstein Do?)
8:44 am — Wednesday, 11 October 2017
The Academy Welcomes You:
WWHWD? He's sit there and beat off, apparently.

They didn't even say anything about Gretchen Mol.
12:16 am — Thursday, 12 October 2017