/linked/2017/10/20/its-all-screen

Comments

These Are Not the Droids You're Looking For:
A notch in the hand is worth two in the bush.
1:28 am — Saturday, 21 October 2017
It's interesting to read Gruber's small jabs of Apple. Seems like normally at this time Apple fan blogs would be circling the wagons to defend the company, but Gruber actually agrees with a lot of criticism these days.
5:13 am — Saturday, 21 October 2017

Then you say you do have a problem.

Incoherence in 2 short paragraphs.
9:09 am — Saturday, 21 October 2017
> Wait. First you say you don't have a problem with the iPhone X being described as "all screen."

Do you struggle with reading comprehension? Or did Gruber make another one of his trademark "updates" to his original text?
1:12 pm — Saturday, 21 October 2017
Dangling Felcherballs:
Gruber's love spex do seem to have slipped a little, good on him for that. He even mentioned Samsung without snark in the post about the screens. He's still avoiding serious criticism thought (eg, problems with High Sierra and other macOS updates highlighted by Marco et al).

Somebody must have said something.

I wonder how long it will last?
7:27 pm — Saturday, 21 October 2017
Grubology 101:
Gruber is not the fanboy he used to be.
11:06 pm — Saturday, 21 October 2017
Grubology 101:
I'd wager he's been offered a job by Google and is carefully orchestrating his exit strategy...
11:10 pm — Saturday, 21 October 2017
Or the job at Apple he's always been waiting for hasn't come through.
3:57 pm — Sunday, 22 October 2017
ano:
Gruber was against the notch from the first moment, so it's nice to see him being consistent.

The disappointment in current Apple design trends has spread to even his hipster mac dev friends, so he isn't going out on too much of a limb, but I still appreciate it.

The thing I don't like is how he hasn't written anything about High Sierra. He says he's holding off on installation, but it seems to me like that is literally his job. I want him to tear into it, because it deserves it.
7:27 pm — Sunday, 22 October 2017
The Academy Welcomes You:
It's all good...except for the shit that isn't.
1:59 am — Monday, 23 October 2017
cluetard:
there's no screen on the back.

how can it be all screen?
5:50 am — Monday, 23 October 2017
jimothy:
I think Apple really screwed up on this one. The iPhone X makes the iPhone 8 look dated (or, the iPhone 8 simply *is* dated), while the iPhone X itself looks unfinished.

The rounded corners and notch are a mistake. The rounded corners are an example of form over function, but what's the excuse for the notch? It looks bad. It looks bad. It functions poorly.

Lucky for Apple, my iPhone 6 has become a dog under iOS 11, and I'm simply not going to switch to Android (Apple will have to screw up a lot worse before that happens). So I'm probably going to buckle and get either an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus (I want the dual cameras), or hold my nose and get the iPhone X and see if it's really the abomination I fear it is.

Or I hold out hope that iOS 11.1 will make my slug of a phone useable again, and hold out until 2019 when hopefully Apple has come to their senses.
3:27 pm — Monday, 23 October 2017
jimothy:
Oh yeah, and this never would have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive.
3:28 pm — Monday, 23 October 2017