/linked/2017/10/23/google-pixel-2-burn-in

Comments

PR Meltdown:
How is Apple going to avoid this on the iPhone X, if it's endemic to OLED? Or is it? (I don't understand things.)

Everyone seems to assume Apple won't have this problem, because OF COURSE they've figured it out, but my question is: have they?
9:58 pm — Monday, 23 October 2017
PR Meltdown:
Oh, never mind. Gruber clarified (I think)... It's just a problem with LG.
11:03 pm — Monday, 23 October 2017
cluetard:
do Apple have a burn-in problem with Apple Watch OLEDs?

Gee, does that indicate whether they've figured it out?
11:43 pm — Monday, 23 October 2017
> do Apple have a burn-in problem with Apple Watch OLEDs?

not that i've noticed, but i've only used one until the new generation is released, and then i upgrade.
11:50 pm — Monday, 23 October 2017
Q*Bert:
The is really weird because LG OLED TVs are the best in the business (even Sony uses LG OLED panels). I don't know why these phone screens they're producing are so crappy. Are they taken from the tv reject bin and repurposed for phones or something?
12:05 am — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Q*Bert:
Also, how did Google release this? If these problems are this obvious after only 2 weeks, that implied a real lack of testing, or worse, they saw the problems and thought it was OK.
12:11 am — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
it's google... they suck at hardware.
12:18 am — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
The Academy Welcomes You:
Google released it because they are software guys, and figured that people wouldn't care.

Now it's time for an expensive and embarrassing recall.
12:33 am — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
chad:
Funny because my Apple Watch Series 2, also using LG OLED, doesn't have any of the blue-shift viewing angle problems people are describing. Burn-in is definitely an issue on Apple Watches though (on display models at least, no problems personally).
3:57 am — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Ero:
Hot damn OLEDs suck. Will be holding onto my iPhone 8 as long as possible.
5:16 am — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Biff:
Anecdotes aren’t data, blah blah blah, but I’ve had the same Apple Watch since launch day, and it displays no burn-in at all.
1:55 pm — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Vanilla Dry Ice:
@Q*Bert: I think phones would be more susceptible to this issue because you're more likely to have the same image(s) on the screen for longer periods of time than on a TV. How much time, for example, is the home screen displayed on phone compared to the same static image on a TV? Other than maybe the TiVo Central screen, your TV's image is always changing.
4:52 pm — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Gruber the Booger:
On the positive side, if Google has to do a recall it will be one of the smaller recalls in the industry.
5:17 pm — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Hateful BB-8:
Feel sorry for all those Google customers expecting any kind of customer service from Google. Have fun complaining on Google's message forums.
6:10 pm — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Actually, I just had a problem with my first-generation Pixel, and the service was surprisingly good. Google was able to view my phone while I spoke to a representative (there's a built-in support tab in the settings), and they overnighted a replacement once they'd diagnosed the issue. No hold time, minimal bullshit (they didn't make me do a factory reset since they could tell I already had), and the new phone fixed the issue.

The last time I tried to get support from Apple, I had to wait five days for an appointment at the Genius Bar, and even then they were so backed up that they weren't ready for me at the appointed time. On the other hand, I had my replacement instantly.

8:56 pm — Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Gruber the Booger:
^^^

I've both experienced and heard the same.

Google will overnight the new/refurbished device and the customer uses the same box to send back the original with the pre-printed label.

Lots of companies do it this way these days, and it's convenient.
1:08 am — Wednesday, 25 October 2017
> All I'm saying is, the Google support was pretty good, and in some ways it was better than Apple's.

probably a question of scale. lot fewer pixel devices than apple devices out there.
9:35 pm — Wednesday, 25 October 2017