/linked/2017/11/08/apple-netflix-ritholtz

Comments

This is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever read. To suggest that the only thing it takes to run a successful studio is money is literally the most laughable thing in the world. HBO and Netflix are successful because of the people running them - it's why Amazon's ae mediocre. Money does not a studio make.
Anyway, Apple can certainly piss away as much cash as they want, but they'd be smart AF to buy Netflix. Or HBO. Or fuck, Disney? But their solo effort will go as well as their "change the world" car company.
11:10 pm — Wednesday, 8 November 2017
Walter Gropius:
BUY KEVIN SPACEY NOW
12:54 am — Thursday, 9 November 2017
Gruber the Booger:
As a user of Netflix I enjoy their service on multiple devices. It's one of the best things about the service, it works on everything.

If Apple were to acquire Netflix I wonder if they would make it Apple only.

If that happens (a lot of ifs) I would cancel my subscription immediately.
2:41 am — Thursday, 9 November 2017
Reliance:
I agree with Gruber here, and I hate when he's so right. He even manages to put together a cogent argument.

And to first poster @anonymous: Gruber literally says "The trick isn’t the money — the trick is hiring the right executives to identify the best new shows." Read better.
7:59 am — Thursday, 9 November 2017
knowitall:
Apples interest here is defensive. Apple just want enough good shows to stop any other company stopping them getting content for Apple devices. Its a pretty simple strategy.

They've done it in software (Logic Pro, Final Cut etc..), music, movies etc..

All they need is a few good shows. The idea that they want to compete with HBO, Netflix etc.. is crazy.

And why would they want to own another 100b dollar company with all the staff and bullshit that that comes with?

The scenario is that if google bought hbo or amazon bought it, could google/amazon restrict apple users to game of thrones?
And how would that effect hardware sales for apple?

So if apple had a show as big as game of thrones that they control, amazon and google couldnt do that to apple.

Yes services are growing for apple and doing very well. But thats all off the back of their hardware sales because apple services are exclusive to apple devices mostly. Where they have to compete (Apple Music Android) I dont think they are killing it there.

Being picky and slowly creating Apple Studios is a better plan than buying netflix and all the headache that would entail.
11:42 am — Thursday, 9 November 2017
Darling Felcherballs:
@reliance

But there was also a story on Macrumors the other day that Apple had told Drake he could do whatever he wanted. This does not suggest they have good people making good decisions.
12:26 pm — Thursday, 9 November 2017
I think streaming TV shows are the opposite of Apple's specialty. You can't make them in secrecy, you have to have apps on everything if you want viewers, you need something to draw viewers in (sex, violence, vulgarity), you have to take big risks with pilots. I don't think this will go well for Apple.
3:40 pm — Thursday, 9 November 2017