/linked/2017/11/17/homepod-delayed

Comments

Pod Person:
They can't be adding new features, can they? Not at this stage. (I'm dreading the scolding John will give anyone who suggests the hardware wasn't locked down LAST YEAR or whatever.) But why else would there be such a delay? Manufacturing? Software issues? Presumably the hardware HAS been locked down for some time.

Are they concerned now that Google and Amazon have launched Hi-Fi HomePod equivalents that Apple might no longer have as strong a point of differentiation in the market (besides, I guess, Siri and HomeKit)?
4:49 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
But the iPhone X arrived a year early, right? So It all works out.
5:56 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
You had a feeling, but kept it to yourself. As always.
6:04 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
John's feelings are running near 100 percent accuracy. What he writes, not so much. I'm surprised he hasn't gone back and deleted all of his bad guesses about the iPhone X. He must've turned his back on his feelings.
8:14 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
No one is going to buy this $400 HomePod-Fi when it's released.

They're going to buy:

- $30 echo puck things
- $200 (max) Sonos "good speaker" things.

Apple is *completely* missing the home voice control game by tying Siri to a super expensive speaker rather than cheap pucks.
8:16 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Gruber the Booger:
The Homepod will do just fine. There are enough people who are completely 100% all-in with Apple products and will buy just about every product Apple produces.

Those same Apple people will return their gifted Echo and wait for the Homepod.
8:45 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Obi-Wan:
Stretch out with your *feelings.*
8:49 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
JonathanJK:
Tell us your thoughts on the iMac Pro please John.
10:26 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Maybe tomorrow, along with his iPhone X review. There's something to be said for taking your time with a review, letting the experience settle in before writing about it
10:50 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
@booger I really think you're overestimating the interest in expensive non-iPhone gadgets from Apple. This thing is going to sell like a Mac Pro, Cinema Display, AirPort, or iPod Hi-Fi at best.

No competition at all to the cheap voice ecosystems being put out by Amazon and Google.
11:10 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Alexa came out in 2014.

Tim Cook needs to go.
11:29 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
If only Gruber had some kind of outlet to express his thoughts.
11:34 pm — Friday, 17 November 2017
Gruber the Booger:
@Mac Pro is Dead

You make a fair point.

But if it sells as well as the similarly priced watch it will be considered a success.

Only time will tell.
1:32 am — Saturday, 18 November 2017
Mister Literalist:
Tim Cook needs to go? You mean, like, he drank a lot of iced tea?
2:17 am — Saturday, 18 November 2017
Q*Bert:
The HomePod feels like a product with no reason to exist.
5:23 am — Saturday, 18 November 2017
i'm excited about homepod. i currently use an ipod hifi as a sound bar with my apple tv. i'm going to replace it with a homepod.

i don't give a fuck about siri though.
8:43 am — Saturday, 18 November 2017
> i currently use an ipod hifi as a sound bar with my apple tv.

That's a very sad tale.
10:53 am — Saturday, 18 November 2017
Darling Felcherballs:
I heard about this first from Gurman. Speaking of whom, I wonder why Grube hasn't yet offered his take on Gurman's recent Apple scoops? Presumably he had feelingz about them long, long ago..?
11:58 am — Saturday, 18 November 2017
I look forward to an explanation about how this delay is actually a /good/ thing on the next 3 hour episode of The Drone Show with special guest Apple Apologist #3
2:21 pm — Saturday, 18 November 2017
Abel the Apple Apologist:
Technology needs to age, like a fine $349 wine, before it is ready to be uncorked.
6:45 pm — Saturday, 18 November 2017
Sick in Cincinnati:
I have a proper stereo system hooked up to iTunes that I'm sure sounds better than whatever the HomePod will sound like, but damn it all, I still want one.

Once you catch the Apple bug, you have it for life. There is no known cure.
6:49 pm — Saturday, 18 November 2017
Or like an iPhone X review.
6:49 pm — Saturday, 18 November 2017
> I have a proper stereo system hooked up to iTunes that I'm sure sounds better than whatever the HomePod will sound like,

don't be so sure. it sounds very good.

> That's a very sad tale.

1:18 am — Sunday, 19 November 2017
hoopla:
it's sad when you're not close enough to Apple to be able to know if their spokesperson is male, female or diversity-inclusive.
1:34 am — Sunday, 19 November 2017
I am important:
I love how John doesn't say "Apple released a statement". He says, "I just got this statement from an Apple spokesperson". So did every other Mac-related blog or website. We get it, John, you're super connected, and you get news releases in your very own inbox whenever Apple does a huge mail blast. Just like a real reporter!
1:28 am — Monday, 20 November 2017
>i used to have a whole 5.1 surround system, but then i realized that i don't really give a shit about all that. i'd rather not have a bunch of stuff cluttering up my living room, and the hifi works fine. the homepod will work better.

So, you say you don't give a fuck about Siri. Yet the only point of the Homepod is to deliver Siri to your living spaces. That's what you are paying the premium price for.

If you don't want Siri, you could get a much better speaker for the same (or lower) price.
7:22 am — Tuesday, 21 November 2017