/linked/2017/11/23/iphone-x-lens-switching

Comments

You're a fucking idiot, Gruber. Just because the camera decides to switch to the telephoto lens with less light, does **not** mean that the telephoto lens is two stops faster.

Remember when you said on your podcast that the new telephoto lens was a *whole stop* faster than the old one? When it's only half a stop faster. But of course you issued no retraction for that claim.

You're really desperate to make this seem more impressive than it actually is.
1:35 am — Friday, 24 November 2017
John Gruber:
I even went so far as to use the word "impressive"!
2:55 am — Friday, 24 November 2017
Average Citizen:
I read through the copy-and-pasted paragraph on pins and needles. Does Gruber think what he pasted is good? Does he think it's bad? I didn't know what to think myself! Then, finally, I got to the end: "Impressive". I read through the preceding paragraph again, but this time, with the cue from Gruber, I was also impressed.
2:58 am — Friday, 24 November 2017
Dangling Felcherballs:
@Average Citizen

Just, bravo
9:52 am — Friday, 24 November 2017
The Real Ming-Chi Kuo:
我什至不能
4:04 pm — Friday, 24 November 2017
I don't understand this at all.
8:54 pm — Friday, 24 November 2017
Grubology 101:
Anon. Tsk tsk. Just say "Impressive!" and everyone will think you actually understood it.
9:17 pm — Friday, 24 November 2017
This is incredibly sloppy writing and 'analysis', from someone who took the time, it seems, to run a fairly well controlled experiment.

From the setup:

> With the improved *sensor, wider aperture, and added optical image stabilization on the telephoto lens in the iPhone X*, I wanted to see if Apple’s frequency of presenting a cropped image at 2X was reduced at all. The answer: yes. But by how much?

And the conclusion:

> This is obviously great news, and speaks to how improved the second lens is after just one year.

WTF! He sets out to evaluate the entire *system*, which includes the lens, sensor, and stabilization (which he points out) as well as software (which he fails to mention), and then completely whiffs on the conclusion, where he chalks up the entire change to the lens itself.
12:11 am — Saturday, 25 November 2017
Gruber the Booger:
The hair on my balls will have gone grey by the time we get Grubers own take on the X.

Until then it's copy and paste for $9000 a week bitches!

Gruber is no doubt working overtime on an overly verbose word salad review that takes advantage of all the bullets, lists, and whatever else his beloved markdown can muster.
10:05 am — Saturday, 25 November 2017