/linked/2017/12/12/cabel-imac-pro

Comments

Gotta hate the non-upgradability.

But OOO BLACK CABLE.
10:01 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
That's an awful, awful framerate compared to anything with an upper-end Nvidia card. I know the GPU in the iMac Pro isn't designed for gaming, but no one should be bragging about 60 FPS at a relatively low, non-native resolution. I'm guessing the iMac Pro chugs on Firewatch at 4K, and that's why this person used a lower resolution. Which, again, is fine — it's a pro machine, not an Xbox — but Mac people are so utterly lost when it comes to gaming that they think a score like this is good.

My PC, which cost a hell of a lot less than an iMac Pro, can easily run Firewatch at 4k at a framerate that never drops anywhere near 60. It's a simple game with relatively low requirements, and the iMac Pro can't run it for shit.

10:01 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
ano:
> Apple should probably consider using Nvidia GPUs at some point. At least as an option for anyone interested in gaming.

They were using them up until 2014 or so I think. Don't know why they've moved away completely
10:18 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
hoopla:
only Apple could innovate and make a black cable. this trend will catch on in the industry. Soon competitors will be slavishly copying Apple and producing their own black cables. Mark my words, you heard it here first.
12:18 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Anonymous®:
They gotta save *something* for the Pro!
2:36 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Anonymous®:
They gotta save *something* for the Pro!
2:36 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Q*Bert:
I just don't see the point of this machine. I'm sure it's super nice and I'd love for someone to give me one, but there's no way I'd ever buy one, especially knowing there's an all-new design of the Mac Pro coming next year (with Apple apparently having learned their lesson from the trash can experiment).
7:21 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Ero:
Basically agree with the above, not sure what the target market for this is. Even pros are using Nvidia CUDA.

Also, I must be the only person who thinks space gray is ugly. Not quite silver, not quite black. It just looks dirty and dingy.
7:46 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
If only they'd seeded one of these babies to Gruber. He'd have put it through its paces and posted a timely review.
7:01 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Smokey da Bear:
I'm with you on the Space Gray, Ero. I have a Space Gray MacBook Pro, and it looks like it's been salvaged from an apartment fire.
7:55 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
hoopla:
I don't want space gray, which looks dingy and ugly.

I want white, which will look dingy, ugly and yellowed after six months.
1:23 am — Thursday, 14 December 2017
my mac has bigger balls than your mac:
Just configured a $13k iMac. The pricing is like a big "fuck you" to people who wanted a bigger, more capable Mac.

2:28 pm — Thursday, 14 December 2017
CP:
@anonymous "Mac people?" …Cabel's company is who made Firewatch. lol
4:17 pm — Thursday, 14 December 2017
@CP Not true. They only published it. Campo Santo developed.
5:10 pm — Thursday, 14 December 2017
Ero:
hoopla:

> I want white, which will look dingy, ugly and yellowed after six months.

TMI.