/linked/2017/12/12/mkbhd-imac-pro

Comments

Morons R Us:
Where is the "Gruber's take on the iMac Pro?"

Seriously, soldered ECC RAM? What the fuck is Apple thinking?
7:40 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
David X.:
It's been know since the day of the announcement that RAM was not upgradable.

(Doesn't bother me. I haven't upgraded RAM on a machine in almost a decade. The last time I did, I maxed out an iMac to 16GB and it caused issues... that went away when I downgraded to 14GB. Maybe Apple wants to avoid support issues of that kind? Or maybe they want better control over thermals? Or maybe they think they'll for up-sell in some beneficial way?)
8:23 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
It fucking sucks you can't upgrade the memory. Maybe right now, I want 16GB, but my life changes and now I need 32GB. Oh well, let's go spend another FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Its fucking stupid. No sale.
8:32 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
Morons R Us:
If you look at the picture on Apple's site the DIMMs are in slots, it's just there's no way to get to the slots without disassembling the thing.

So to upgrade the RAM you need to pop out the motherboard...which is not the same as saying it isn't upgradeable, it's just a pain.

I've upgraded the RAM on every Mac I owned. I don't think I own a Mac that I couldn't up the RAM.

Even my wife's 5k iMac had its ram upgraded.
11:23 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong:
Apple has already said they will release a modular, upgradable Mac Pro in 2018. Newsflash to all the crybabies complaining about the non-upgradable iMac Pro: it's not for you. Get the new Mac Pro next year. Or just max out the specs on the iMac Pro. (Is that too expensive? Then surprise: it's not for you.)
11:29 pm — Tuesday, 12 December 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
Guess what: this product was SUPPOSED to be the only Pro product at all. Only our complaining got us the New Mac Pro in the first place.
2:03 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
my mac has bigger balls than your mac:
Sadly enough, the only Macs for me at this point were all made before 2012.

Just tried the keyboard on a dork bar MBP and couldn't type on it for shit. Jesus, did they rehire the IBM PC Jr Keyboard dude for that POS?
7:17 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
hoopla:
If it's got less than a terabyte of RAM, it's not Pro.
1:24 am — Thursday, 14 December 2017