/linked/2017/12/12/schiller-interview

Comments

John Gruber:
Hear that everybody? They had settled on Face ID "early enough in the process"! It was settled early! Not this summer! Hello?
1:34 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Mac Pro is Dead:
lol the only reason he pulled *this* quote was to shit on Gurman's story
1:58 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
hoopla:
Do we remember a time when Gruber would get these interviews?
2:31 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
chad:
Such gripping commentary from Gruber.
6:43 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Ero:
> full top-to-bottom screen on the front

But... it's not.
7:43 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Dangling Felcherballs:
Is he really talking about a phone unlock system that's marginally better, under most circumstances, than TouchID? The narcissism and delusion on display here is off the scale. And here is Grubes, corporate zombie, eating it up.
10:27 am — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
So they decided to go with a shittier biometric system earlier? Who cares, its still shittier.
5:44 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Anonymous®:
Touch ID sucked. Worked about half the time for me. Face ID is the shiz.
6:03 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Average Citizen:
Does Gruber ever seek these interviews out? Does he make requests, send emails... anything? Or does he just sit in his basement waiting for the phone to ring?
6:33 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
So what Apple did on this marginally-improved smartphone "is just a great achievement?" I have to agree with Dangling that Schiller is pretty far up his own ass here. It's a nice feature, but "a great achievement" might be going a little too far, and the explorer analogy is borderline delusional.

I'm not sure what it is about Apple's current culture that requires them to toot their own horn so often. "We think it's the best _____ we've ever made" is getting tiresome, and saying over and over again how great these products is something better left to reviewers (or mouthpieces like Gruber). I remember how Jobs liked to underplay expectations, sometimes understating sales estimates, product quality, etc. in order to make a greater impact on the market. I think I miss that aspect of old Apple quite a bit.
6:59 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Average Citizen:
Didn't Steve Jobs prominently use the word "magical" in his approved marketing copy? I don't think Apple has strayed that far.
9:22 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
my mac has bigger balls than your mac:
TouchID is ultra fast and reliable for me. I'm one of those that can't double-click the home button because TouchID works so fast.

That said, they shouldn't even need to unlock the phone if you're wearing your apple watch.

I mean come on guys. It's so obvious a DFWC user thought about it.

WHY NOT PHIL? WHY NOT?
10:39 pm — Wednesday, 13 December 2017
chad:
>Schiller wants to talk in detail about them before we’ve had chance to ask. “So frequently, I talk to customers who say, ‘My favourite product Apple has ever made are AirPods.’ And that’s just a really nice thing to hear. I love when customers respond that one of their favourite product is something this simple, and yet so much work went into it."

Man, as much as I love my AirPods, Schiller's cockiness is getting annoying. I don't recall Steve jobs ever interrupting an interview just to launch into a meaningless sales pitch for a year-old product.
1:37 am — Thursday, 14 December 2017
my mac has bigger balls than your mac:
"Ask me about AirPods! Go ahead, I dare you!"
5:49 am — Thursday, 14 December 2017
Johnny Grubstein:
Time to fire Tim Cook and that idiot Schiller.
6:08 am — Thursday, 14 December 2017
Dan Graham:
Everytime I read "Dan Grabham", I picture myself Dan Graham grabbing a piece of ham.
1:10 pm — Thursday, 14 December 2017
toolshed:
Never been convinced Shiller has any talent. Maybe there's a ton of backroom stuff he's hot at, I dunno. But as a public facing guy, just nuthin.
9:08 pm — Thursday, 14 December 2017
> Touch ID sucked. Worked about half the time for me. Face ID is the shiz

No way. Touch ID is awesome and more secure. Face ID sucks.
8:04 pm — Friday, 15 December 2017