/linked/2018/01/09/investors-apple-kids

Comments

fafazfefafzfazfe:
"... parental controls in iOS are no substitute for being a good, involved parent."

That was not implied, you prick.

I like my 5yo daughter to choose the music when I'm at the wheel ; I'm completely fine with her playing 'unblock me' or 'neko atsume' or facetiming relatives, or using certain websites. All that without being pushed into buying stuff, without getting my notifications and warnings, etc.

A 'child OK mode' on the phone (much like an 'airplane mode') would help avoiding messy situations. And tbh, I'm spending much less time on an air plane than with my children around.

A thumb/face ID-based variable access level would make it a breeze.
9:42 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
Harvey Weinstein:
I like to control devices
9:43 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
2b1ask1:
Steve Jobs would not let his children use the devices he created:

9:51 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
Suddenly, John's a conservative, against the progressive nanny state. Parents should parent, not the state.
9:53 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
Anonymous®:
We're going to Apple because we admit, the rest is shit.
10:02 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
Vanilla Dry Ice:
How about this: an app that uses FaceID to create an avatar of your child that can be used to sell gummi worms in Japan!
11:04 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
Doesn't John just stay home and drink all day? Childcare must look so easy to him, since he only has his daughter to look after.
11:34 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
JG has a single child with two parents. That's a pretty good ratio. Back in the real world, it's a little harder. This is literally crack cocaine to children.

I really wish Apple would do what Amazon does, simple time limit per day per device. This is fucking simple as it gets - exceed 90 minutes, shuts off. But oh wait, that fucks revenue.

Instead there's a shit show of bad third party apps to do this. Fuck Apple, others do this well. Too bad Amazon's tablets suck.
11:52 pm — Tuesday, 9 January 2018
"This open letter is getting a lot of attention, but to me, the way to limit your kids’ access to GUNS is simply, well, to limit their access to GUNS. But more granular parental controls FOR GUNS are no substitute for being a good, involved parent."

-John Gruber
1:52 am — Wednesday, 10 January 2018
50b89a46f448193bc28a8bbd61674b9521f200c73583e4da1f0a880e437e0065:
>This is literally crack cocaine to children.

No, it's not "literally" crack cocaine.
7:16 am — Wednesday, 10 January 2018